Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the girlfriend like to spend a week in the UP every fall. This year she has picked the keweenaw to roam around. Being from the Lansing area and not knowing much about what to do around there Im in need of some help. We split the trip 50/50 fishing and sight seeing. Would like to do some musky fishing a few days just enough to get good and sore and yes I and catch and release only. Would need some places to hike around, places to get some food or some non "touristy" spots would be awesome as well. We will be going in the end of September. Not to sound like we hate people but We both enjoy the seclusion that rustic camping can bring and the UP is our yearly fix. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Non touristy spots, now that's funny. I take it that you have never been there. You'll be hard pressed to find any even if that was your goal.

Go to Pasty.com and scroll back through the pictures to get an idea of what scenery is there. Do the Arcadian mine tour in Ripley. If you slip and fall you'll almost land on the roof of my old house. Climb down the rocks and take a dip in the Devils wash tub. Calumet bars are worth a tour. There is a huge amount of history in the Copper Country drive around and discover it. Calumet/Laurium was almost our state Capitol.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
My brother and I went to school there, love the area. Bought a deer camp in Lanse and make it up quite a bit. I don't know of any musky water, Portage and Torch lakes have some large pike! The trout fishing can be phenomenal but water is a bit low this year.. end of September no trout.. sorry just looked back, you may be able to find some salmon or steelhead if there is some rain. There is some decent smallmouth fishing up there and walleye in a few lakes. Personally if only a week I would do the tourist thong, there are some truly magnificent sights up there, I've been going up there since 91 and still find cool places every trip. It is the definition of God's Country.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been running all of these ideas past my girlfriend and so far she has loved them all. It's now starting to look like a 60/40 sightseeing/fishing trip. Thanks for the responses and keep em coming we both like having an unrealistic amount of things to do

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
Stop in Lanse to see the copper statue of the snowshoe priest. The statue is right on US 41 on the cliff over looking the bay. It's impressive.

Check out the train bone yard between the top of Mt. Ridley ski area and the mine.

The Ambassador bar is a good spot for lunch. It's just before the bridge to Hancock.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you're into beer, you can do the Keweenaw Brewing Co.'s taproom in Houghton, Red Jacket in Calumet, and Brickside Brewery in Copper Harbor in an afternoon and eat at the Harbor Haus in Copper Harbor or The Fitz in Eagle River. You could also do a fish and brew: Portage/Keweenaw Brew Co., Gratiot Lake/Red Jacket, Lake Medora or Fanny Hooe/Brickside.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Nearest places for musky are bond falls, Craig lake or michigamme lake...south and east of the keewenaw..gratiot lake ,for a few years was managed as a trophy pike lake, sturgeon roam otter lake... Be careful skis in the yooper are not like Paul's pets in st Clair...they are much meaner and have tricks st Clair musky never dreamt of

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Try McLains State park on the north Shore casting off the breakwall for Salmon. Bring Spoons, Little Cleo's. K o Wobblers, Moonshine, and reel slow.

I have caught pike all throughout the Portage Canal on spoons and live bait. Even right downtown Houghton. Try a jig and twister tail for Smallmouth in the portage.

Basically chuck a spoon into anybody of water you find. You'll never know what you'll catch up there.

http://www.keweenaw.info/fishing-45/

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah yes the Gay Bar my cousins friend got hit by a snowmobiles there and broke his leg. He's fine now but his hospital bill said picked up at The Gay Bar LMAO. shametamer your last line cracks me up but it's true those muskies seem to be a bit more hostile or maybe they just don't like a Troll like me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Go to the Ambassador for pizza and fishbowls and KBC for a beer (the widowmaker is a good brew). Both in downtown Houghton. Check out the Keweenaw National Historic Park. It is headquartered in Calumet and includes a lot of the mining places and history of the area. Drive across Brockway Mountain and stop by the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge for lunch. Also the Estivant Pines is a cool hike. All near Copper Harbor. As stated by others, targeting muskie's will be tough. The Portage, Gratiot Lake, and Lac la Belle all hold good eyes, pike, and bass. If you hit it right, the splake may be in Copper Harbor. Have fun.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,389 Posts
All good advice above....I'll add Pilgrim River Steakhouse in Houghton as an option also

Can't beat drinking a KBC out on their deck overlooking the Portage on a sunny day!

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Ah yes the Gay Bar my cousins friend got hit by a snowmobiles there and broke his leg. He's fine now but his hospital bill said picked up at The Gay Bar LMAO. shametamer your last line cracks me up but it's true those muskies seem to be a bit more hostile or maybe they just don't like a Troll like me.
Its true, its true..two instances of particular note..a bond falls girl that rolled in my line.lure in her face and about four wraps of my line around her body..ya ever try to real in a fish of 25 pounds sideways? Lol it was like a 25 pound crappie fantailing. Against u....then on michigamme river.. I figured eighted on the end saw a big girlswoop and pass under theboat, looked over to my bud was cussin etc..she or her twin came back my lure dangling in water and ripped the rod from my hands..lol i really like that combo..never did find it

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This one I got from bond years ago and I'm sure I'll be stopping back this year
ImageUploadedByOhub Campfire1438986745.292141.jpg

And yes I am ashamed at myself now for holding that fish the way I did I just didn't know any better back then.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Try coming up in late May to have some time without a lot of people around.. That is when you can still see what the summer foliage hides in the summer and the fishing is lots better too. check out the redsandsresort

1 - 17 of 17 Posts