Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife Tina and I went down to Kentucky for her birthday. We actually hit Kentucky on our way back from Tennessee. Our bucket list of things to do included going into a cave. Neither of us have ever went inside a cave before. What a cool experience. We enjoyed it so much so that we wondered if there are any other caves you would recommend? Crystal Onyx is majority of the video below. Michigan couple Scott and Sara Sendtko purchased the cave back in 2010. The cave was first discovered in 1960 and there were some bodies found in it! It hasn't been open to the public very long, but man is it a cool cave! We actually had Scott as a tour guide. Super cool dude! The one nice thing about a pocket sized camera is you can take a video to record your experience.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Some place close to go is Seneca Caverns in Ohio, makes for a good day trip. Not real big but is kind of rustic . Note: They are closed this time of year. Bring a collapsible cup you drink the water at the bottom level.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some place close to go is Seneca Caverns in Ohio, makes for a good day trip. Not real big but is kind of rustic . Note: They are closed this time of year. Bring a collapsible cup you drink the water at the bottom level.
I'm going to have to look that one up. We've been to Hocking Hills, but haven't heard of that one. Time for a quick google search. Thanks.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just looked that one up. That is only about 1 hour 10 minutes from me! I had no idea. I just showed my wife and we'll be hitting it up when it opens next year. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,486 Posts
Wow. That looks pretty spectacular! Normally really busy there I imagine?
Not super busy, but plenty of people visit Ruby Falls. We went to Lookout Mountain first, that day. It is literally right across the road from the entrance to Ruby Falls. Just park, go into the office, and pay, and take the next tour. The 3rd attraction we visited in the same day, was the Tennessee Aquarium. All 3 attractions were a great time, and we visited all 3 in a long day.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you ever go out west go to the Lewis and Clark caverns about an hour or so south of Helena, MT. I personally haven't been there but have a good friend who has and I will go there the next time I am out there. I have heard it is very cool.

http://stateparks.mt.gov/lewis-and-clark-caverns/
I haven't been out West ever. I'm certainly planning on it before my days are up. Thanks for pointing that one out.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
My wife Tina and I went down to Kentucky for her birthday. We actually hit Kentucky on our way back from Tennessee. Our bucket list of things to do included going into a cave. Neither of us have ever went inside a cave before. What a cool experience. We enjoyed it so much so that we wondered if there are any other caves you would recommend? Crystal Onyx is majority of the video below. Michigan couple Scott and Sara Sendtko purchased the cave back in 2010. The cave was first discovered in 1960 and there were some bodies found in it! It hasn't been open to the public very long, but man is it a cool cave! We actually had Scott as a tour guide. Super cool dude! The one nice thing about a pocket sized camera is you can take a video to record your experience.

I have never been here...but have been to others. This cave most likely was not disturbed as you see some really nice formations. Undisturbed :)

There are a number of caverns and caves around Ohio and south. Along Erie and to the east south down through Ky and further.

One of my favorites is where you have been and I mentioned to you before. Hocking hills area some one the caves there have candle burnings from 200 years ago, where you use a candle to write using the smoke from the flame. Other areas where dates were carved into the stone.

Ash cave is cool as is old mans cave.

If you are interested you might just google them :)

Due to constant temps many caverns are open year round.

Nice post...I liked the video :) !

1 - 20 of 24 Posts