Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

61 - 81 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm a Kent County transplant, formerly a Middlevillian from the Yankee Springs Area. I married a gal with 10 acres, horses, and a brand new house up here in the Cedar swamp (4 miles SE of Cedar Springs). So much for my plan of buying a lake house around Gun Lake. Pros and cons to every decision.
Does Pine Lake have public access?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hit my local lake today for a couple hours. Finally was able to find some fish. It was nice but windy as hell. Looking forward to some colder temps and more ice so I can drive the Ranger rather than walk a mile pulling a sled. First year ice fishing so I'm happy I was able to bring home some fish to enjoy. Put about 10 or so on the ice. The three below were the best.

·
Registered
90 Posts
W
Hit my local lake today for a couple hours. Finally was able to find some fish. It was nice but windy as hell. Looking forward to some colder temps and more ice so I can drive the Ranger rather than walk a mile pulling a sled. First year ice fishing so I'm happy I was able to bring home some fish to enjoy. Put about 10 or so on the ice. The three below were the best.

Well done! Please be careful out there and use a spud!!!! Guys have been falling through here and there. Cold nights coming up will help but conditions are generally pretty borderline in most places in Kent county. PLEASE do not assume that the ice is good because other people are out. Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
W

Well done! Please be careful out there and use a spud!!!! Guys have been falling through here and there. Cold nights coming up will help but conditions are generally pretty borderline in most places in Kent county. PLEASE do not assume that the ice is good because other people are out. Good luck!!!!
For sure. I live next to the lake and have been out a decent amount. Solid 4-5 inches here. Measured a ton on the way out and back. Things can change quick but it’s looking pretty good on the 7 day.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Premium Member
10,614 Posts
Well guys, it's been slow for me the last couple outings, other than the late afternoon flurry that seems to last all of about 20 to 30 minutes. Got like 9 keepers yesterday and they all came from about 445 to 530 and got these on Thursday in a 5 to 530 window after work:

Nothing big either. Eaters.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I got a couple last night fishing with a few buddies. The bite was slow. They were finicky and reluctant to bite. It felt good to get out closer to home that's for sure. The ice was about a good 5 inches of black ice where i was.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Fished today for a few hours mid morning to early afternoon. Ended up taking home 4 - 8”+ gills and 1 - 8” crappie. Fish were thick as could be but were pretty lock jawed but there were a few times when they would randomly turn on.

I am new to ice fishing and I was hoping to be chasing walleye on the lake but have had zero luck finding them and have surprisingly enjoyed chasing panfish, which there seem to be a plethora of. The couple ice rods and reels I have are pretty heavy for panfishing. Found a decent in line set up from Frabill that arrived today while I was out. Hoping the quick tip and in-line will help me detect and get more bites.

Out of curiosity, what do you guys like to run for line? I’ve been using 2 or 4 pound mono, Suffix Ice Magic clear, but fishing in 30’ for panfish I feel like it has too much stretch. I ordered some 2 pound crystal fireline braid and some 1# FC ice flouro. Interested to hear what other guys with experience are running.

Beautiful day to be in a shanty.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I typically run 2-4lb mono or fluorocarbon. Fluorocarbon gives you less stretch. I have 2lb mono on my main jigging rod. Then i have 3lb fluorocarbon on my palm rod. For my jaw jacker and automatic fisherman i have 6 lb braid with a fluorocarbon leader for pike.

·
Premium Member
10,614 Posts
Got out tonight after work from 5 to 6. Slow bite, as I marked plenty from 10 to 18FOW, but they were stuck right to the bottom and would not move. Kept 2 specks and 4 gills, and maybe put 10 little ones back. About 5:45 they totally shut down.

Little nippy tonight, 21 with a nice NW breeze. Had to wear gloves for the first time this year. The cold has done us some good though. Consistent 6 inches of ice with 5 inches of snow on top. Dragging the sled is not nearly as fun as it was a week ago.

·
Premium Member
10,614 Posts
They were snapping this afternoon in NE Kent County. Limit of gills and specks with a couple bonus perch from about 3 to 4:30. Ahead of the front. Best was 14 to 16 FOW and had fish hit 6 feet up off bottom. Most came on a 3mm pink tungsten with root beer colored shrimpo. Started with plastic and finally stuck with it. They might have bitten anything today though. I'll post a pic later.

That wind was nippy on the bucket. Wanted to blow up the back of my coat. Burr.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Got out yesterday with my buddy. Ice was 8-10” and about 3-4” of slush and some decent snow. Took the ranger all the way for the first time. Glad the guy at Hilltop told me to grab some chains for tires because man did we need them. We ended up with about 45 fish, mostly gills and then some perch mixed it. Really enjoying getting out on the ice this year.

IMG_2631.JPG

61 - 81 of 98 Posts