Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
lets go a little further some of the fish in his pail look to be pumpkin gills and not all bluegills or pumpkinseeds. Yes sometimes the pumpkinseeds breed with bluegills

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
All "mud bass" to me and off-limits. But what do I know;) I'll eat me some good rock bass...but no thanks on those Mud Bass...whether they are green sunfish or warmouth;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
People were saying they were hybrids between rock bass and sunfish but I think warmouth because you can’t lip a sunfish like that and it has a bass mouth but hopefully get back on the ice this weekend!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
20190801_163558.jpg

Yeah not a productive topic of discussion at this point ;) I do just want to say that its really cool how much variability sunfish species can show in their color and body shape depending on the habitat/time of year etc. I caught this green sunfish in an ozark mountain stream and it had such vibrant colors it looked like a tropical aquarium fish...

·
Premium Member
10,618 Posts
View attachment 630501

Yeah not a productive topic of discussion at this point ;) I do just want to say that its really cool how much variability sunfish species can show in their color and body shape depending on the habitat/time of year etc. I caught this green sunfish in an ozark mountain stream and it had such vibrant colors it looked like a tropical aquarium fish...
Green sunfish showed up in numbers in my home lake about 10 or 15 years ago. They are gorgeous, but I am not a fan for the fry pan. Much prefer bluegills.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've been told that there have been people out on Morrison. Has anyone been out there? How's the ice?
Was there Saturday, ice was borderline, but it was cold and it was solid. There was about 2.5 clear with another inch on top. Definitely need to use an abundance of caution! After a little rain and warmer weather we are getting, i don't think i would trust it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Tested 5-6 decent sized lakes near Pierson / Sand lake yesterday evening. There were a few with guys on them but wow I couldn't justify it...2 spud hits in the white ice and I was through. Even seen one spot where a human size hole was fresh from the day prior but guys walking right by it. 1.5-2.5" everywhere and fading from what we saw. Our sure bet pond in the woods was probably the worst with the 1.5" reading. Bring a spud and buddy if your gonna do the dance this weekend folks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Not hot and heavy by any means.
6 people out and a couple hundred holes. Only pike was 23” on a bluegill rod. 4 bass on tulips. Biggest Gill was 9 1/4” biggest perch was 10 1/2” good day with great people is all that matters.
4-6” of ice depending on where you went.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,618 Posts
How north are you from Kent ?
I'm a Kent County transplant, formerly a Middlevillian from the Yankee Springs Area. I married a gal with 10 acres, horses, and a brand new house up here in the Cedar swamp (4 miles SE of Cedar Springs). So much for my plan of buying a lake house around Gun Lake. Pros and cons to every decision.

41 - 60 of 98 Posts