Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the ice by turtle head is fishable on Kent lake.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Hi TH
I just talked to Jerry. who's out there everyday and he
said he saw 2 guys fishing by the little island off the
small pkg lot on thursday and today a couple of friends are out
skating.
Sorry, I don't have a ice thickness report though.

mike

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the report. I am going to try and make it out there Sat. afternoon

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Per Mich Mike, if Jerry's not on the ice, I'd check it real good and wouldn't wander a whole lot. The guy almost lives out there and knows the lake better than most.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I was on it friday for an hour or so, but I didn't go more than 75 yards from the docks at the south boat launch. Ice was about 4 inches. didn't see a fish. I very rarely fish this lake and it's the first time on hard water so i had no idea where to go, just wanted to get out. Didn't see a fish though and was in about 3-4 feet of water. Probably not much help because i doubt you would be going to that area but there it is :).

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be out there this afternoon untill dark. But I am going to check out a near by lake first. If it looks fishable I will probably stay there as I have never fished it before. But if not, I will be parked a turtle head with a dark green shanty. Fishing for gills and spear chucking.There be some big pike in that lake.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fished off of turtle head near the small parking lot. Nothing but dink perch. Main lake had some open water. The bays around turtle head had 6 " of ice, half white ice half clear. Saw a few others out fishing. Nice to be out.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
People!!!!!!! Don't forget that there is a nice current off of turtle head. USE CAUTION when adventuring on first ice and where you are not familiar!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Has anyone checked the "hidden splender" lake out at Kensington Metro Park yet??? I called the park last week and asked if anyone was out on the ice fishing it at all and the person that answered the phone was quite blunt when she said no one was fishing any of the lakes yet and that there was no safe ice. I figured if anything was to freeze up and be safe, that'd be the spot- Feel free to PM me

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I was out at Kent Lake tonight and was amazed to see the little pkg lot off turtlehead full with about 20 or so folks fishing the 6 ft shallow west bay there.

Talked to a friend who caught a nice northern earlier in the week in that area that was little over 10 lbs.

As far as fishing goes the little bluegills were going to town and had
a friend that took home 15 between 7 and 8 inches
but you had to catch a hundred to get those.

Quite a bit of water on the ice but the ice was 12 inch plus in the areas I fished.
Even though most of the gills were small it was nice to be out on the ice
in the warmer weather for a change.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Fished the bay off the north side of Turtlehead yesterday with the same results as before, except we caught a few nice crappies right before dark
jiggin waxys. Just 3 but nice 10 to 12 inchers and kept a dozen gills
over 7 inch.

Ice measured 11 inches with the top 3 being snow ice, some of the edges
were iffy and you had to be find a place to walk on, but the main ice was looking good.
The fresh snow on top makes it hard to judge though.
Seen about 10 folks fishing the south side of turtle head
where the channel goes thru and 1 out by the x-way and a few fishing the west.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Has anyone checked the "hidden splender" lake out at Kensington Metro Park yet???

What lake are you referring to ????
Old post revisited;)
It is a smaller lake that is in the south west part of the park. It is a wild life perserve and only half of the lake is usually/fishable at a time. You'll have to check with the park office to find out what side of the lake is open to fishing before you go. I'm pretty sure the name of the lake is wild wing lake. It used to be a real hot small spot to hit, but I belive it went down hill fast in the past few years. Only reason I asked about it in December was I had been itching to get on some safe ice and this is the smallest body of water I could think of that had any potential for safe ice. From what I gather shore ice is the biggest problem in most areas so that would be my only worry. Good luck and be safe out there.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I fished Wild Wing 3 times last winter and all the panfish
appeared to be stunted, no bluegills or crappies bigger than 6 inch, but heard it used to have some nice ones back in the day.
The guys using tipups appeared to be busy with mostly nice bass
and a few pike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts