Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Biggest waste of time. Save your money and your time. Decided to get a paddle boat and enjoy the sun from 3-5, grill, eat, then go back out to bass fish. Not one bite in 4 hours, all weeds, and way too much recreational traffic. 80$ later we're fish less and annoyed. I fished this last year and hammered the bass. This year, there is so much vegetation (thick THICK weeds EVERYWHERE) you can't even cast. We thought after dusk we would get some bites but not so much. Its a swamp. Literally. Has anyone else had any luck out here?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
92 Posts
I took the family there for a picnic and a little fishing yesterday. Whole lake seemed to be weeded over....We shore fished and I was amazed at how many 8-10 inch largemouths were swimming between the shore and the weed beds. Thought I even saw an eye or two hanging around on the bottom(2-3ft of water). Occassional 12-16 inch largies too. I threw everything I had in my tackle at them, including wet/dry flies, with only a small hit or two on a hula popper(could have been panfish)...They were cruising back and forth on a current that was running between the shore and weed lines. I casted on the weeds as well with a couple moss frogs with no luck. It was really hot yesterday so that could account for it, but I bounced a rubber worm or a jig right on their heads with no reaction a couple times....

Back on April 15th there was little to no weeds breaking the surface(see water behind photo) and I caught this on a rooster tail in about 6 ft of water from the shore...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I fish the lake 2 to 3 times a week. The fishing does seem to be a litttle
slower this year then in the past, and no big bass or pike yet.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I concur, the weeds are out of control this year. Thinking that the overabundance of lake vegetation is providing plenty of food for all the fish there. That could very well be why no one is getting bites lateley.

I started fishing Kent Lake last year. Accidentally caught 2 smallmouths and one largemouth. Lots of little gills. :fish:

·
Registered
67 Posts
There was a tournament yesterday and most of the guys seemed to be saying they got limits. My buddy and I fished it from about 2:30 to 5 and caught 1 Smallie on a bird lure (like a top water from, but shaped like a bird). Weeds were indeed bad. We had to run the trolling motor really high (like almost half way out of the water) so it wouldn't keep getting fouled up with weeds.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
they just put plant herbaside in the lake this last week or two. there are signs post ever ware btw there starting to kill off the plant. but the fishing will not be normal till it is back to noraml. will be about a week or two till it is perfect.

·
Administrator
17,550 Posts
The Detroit Lions just had a charity event out there on June 12th. I almost entered that tournament. Reports from that day were pretty good.
Whereabouts in SE Michigan are you? Anchor Bay and Lake Ct. Clair are on fire right now for bass.
<----<<<

1 - 12 of 12 Posts