Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just thought I would see what you all thought. I live close to my neighbors and now that its getting warm out it smells a little out there.. My kennels are 8x10s I try to keep them cleaned up at least every day sometimes it 2-3 days though. My floors are dirt in there. So Im looking for suggestions on keeping the odor down through the hot months. Also does cement floors help in keeping the odor down ? Are they worth doing?????

Scott

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put some lime down then some cedar chips and then pine over the cedar. I dont like to use alot of cedar cuz it tends to cause problems sometimes. So far so good but was just looking for any other ideas.

Scott

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have the same problem with concrete floor kennels. Last summer I got a complaint from my downwind neighbor. I live in the country but city folk move next door and don't like the smells that don't bother me. I think urine is the main problem, since I pick up the runs everyday. My solution was to clean the runs with a product from a pet store, increase my hose down frequency, remove some of the dirt around the kennel, and treat with lime. I had partial success but significant odor remains. This early summer I am going to add a little more concrete outside the front of the kennel, remove a significant amount of dirt and replace with gravel so I can have a better hose off situation. This is something I have wanted to do for years.

Grouseman

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
our kennels smell ????? Shoot I guess I have not realized that I lived on a hog farm most my life and had dogs since i was 9 nose most just be used to smells

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
I'm thinking this product might work http://www.biosafeone.com/purchase.html I did a search for Rid-X and found this. I called and asked about toxicity to animals. Was informed of a dog eating the stuff with no ill effects. I was thinking mix it with water and spray the soil and let it work. Only drawback is it might be a little more than I think I would need. I'm going to try and get some info on Rid-X and see what they say.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
we use a product called noc out......it is a liquid we mix with water and use a hand sprayer to spray it on our cement runs inside the building....non toxic....

·
Registered
673 Posts
micooner, where do you get the noc out and do you have to rinse it off? i was looking at a bottle of odor fighter at tsc yesterday but it said to rinse with hose afterwards....well the hose and dirt would equal mud so i put it back on the shelf.

i think when it warms up a little bit more i am going to cement my kennel and do the deep gravel thing around it for proper drainage when i hose it off.

later, dave

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
predatordave sent you a pm....also i sprinkle lime on my dirt areas where my hounds are at helps keep the smell down neighbors are city people they just dont appreciate these country smells i guess...maybe getting time to move north way too many people for me

1 - 11 of 11 Posts