Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

This is my first post here and I hope I am in the right place. If not please inform me and I apologize in advance.

I just found out that in Saginaw MI City you cannot own more than three dogs. I have five, a mother, and father and her three pups. They are all Standard Poodles. (I will not have more unless I move to a farm in some rural area) and since they are related, they must be clipped to prevent inbreeding. Training them is quite difficult and requires ALL day work. Not complaining. I enjoy it. Thankfully I work from home so I can do this.

I was told by Animal Control in Midland that I can easily take care of this by getting a Kennel License. The problem is that I cannot find where the forms are. Perhaps, I'm just a idiot looking in the wrong place.

Does anyone know where I can get a Kennel License at? Is there a online form? I don't want to ever face to possibility of having to give up my even two of my Poodles. I'm attached. I've gotten them there first shots, bought collars, colorful dogbone shaped one. I've named them. I love them. They are apart of my family already.The idea of losing anyone them makes me want to cry like a pathetic three year old.

P.S. The second was before Daemon (that's his name) even opened his eyes...
image2 (4).JPG image3 (3).JPG image1 (4).JPG

So if anyone knows where I can purchase a Kennel License? I can't find it.

·
Registered
18,531 Posts
Your county treasurer should have an answer for you.
Look over conditions of license though.....some have provisions of requirements that make little sense to dogs kept indoors but are still required.

One township I lived in an employee in charge said we only wanted a kennel license to save money compared to each dog licensed seperate???????????
So, no kennel license , or the additional outdoor structures required but many dogs there at the time ( housed indoors). Never had a problem. Maybe because they got more money their way......
Some crazy stuff.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your county treasurer should have an answer for you.
Look over conditions of license though.....some have provisions of requirements that make little sense to dogs kept indoors but are still required.

One township I lived in an employee in charge said we only wanted a kennel license to save money compared to each dog licensed seperate???????????
So, no kennel license , or the additional outdoor structures required but many dogs there at the time ( housed indoors). Never had a problem. Maybe because they got more money their way......
Some crazy stuff.
Wow that made no sense (not what you said in the beginning the employee who wanted the license... That made no sense to me lo what that employee did. But I guess it worked for him? I think?)

I'm in Saginaw City and simply want the license to prevent EVER losing my pups. Despite the fact that they are indoor dogs, only going out for potty. Also building a fence so that they will have more room to run around since my fenced area in my opinion is too small.

I'm going to stalk this page and call up the county treasurer and let's hope I get somewhere!

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I believe that pups under the age of six months need not be licensed, check it out for your county and township!

Reactions: slammer

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I believe that pups under the age of six months need not be licensed, check it out for your county and township!
That is true.
My township gave me a special land use permit when I had 6 dogs which I thought was a joke since I was allowed to have 6 horses if I wanted without an issue

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Call the right city for starters.

The people at the front desk at the CITY of SAGINAW will send you either to Saginaw County Animal Control, or the licensing and inspections department within the ZONING department of the City of SAGNAW.

It is expensive to keep a pack of dogs in Saginaw fwiw.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I live in the country and had mine for 12 years. My wife worked for animal control and her boss would get on her case since our township and county have a 3 dog rule as well as its not just a city thing. We had 5 at the time and wanted to get more and I finally said lets do it right. Our township office had the requirements and I got a copy of them. Required a minimum of 10 acres. A building with minimum kennel sizes & indoor and outdoor kennel sizes. a fence (privacy) around the outdoor kennels and the ability to be able to power wash kennels etc. That means concrete floors and walls covered in materails that can take power washing.
The next step was to contact the township for a meeting, paying them for the cost. Notices in the paper for neighbors to object at the meeting and a variance.
The meeting went pretty well, we had to present plans for the building (an addition to our pole barn) then we could apply for our building permit.
did as much of the work as I could myself but still spent $18,000 on the project and we only have 4 kennel spaces and a limit of 10 dogs. Yeah most of the time the dogs are house dogs. So in the long run you may be better to move or let them issue you tickets if it goes that far. I may have been better off financially to never licence any of them then unless someone complained nobody would know how many dogs we have.
Wish you luck

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I live in the country and had mine for 12 years. My wife worked for animal control and her boss would get on her case since our township and county have a 3 dog rule as well as its not just a city thing. We had 5 at the time and wanted to get more and I finally said lets do it right. Our township office had the requirements and I got a copy of them. Required a minimum of 10 acres. A building with minimum kennel sizes & indoor and outdoor kennel sizes. a fence (privacy) around the outdoor kennels and the ability to be able to power wash kennels etc. That means concrete floors and walls covered in materails that can take power washing.
The next step was to contact the township for a meeting, paying them for the cost. Notices in the paper for neighbors to object at the meeting and a variance.
The meeting went pretty well, we had to present plans for the building (an addition to our pole barn) then we could apply for our building permit.
did as much of the work as I could myself but still spent $18,000 on the project and we only have 4 kennel spaces and a limit of 10 dogs. Yeah most of the time the dogs are house dogs. So in the long run you may be better to move or let them issue you tickets if it goes that far. I may have been better off financially to never licence any of them then unless someone complained nobody would know how many dogs we have.
Wish you luck
I have spent $60k so far this year because it was the right thing! If I would just kept them in the poll barn with bark collars on it would never of costed me a dime

Reactions: drwink

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I have spent $60k so far this year because it was the right thing! If I would just kept them in the poll barn with bark collars on it would never of costed me a dime
No wonder Pro trainers are just popping up every where in Michigan....NOT! I personally know of very few new folks getting into the business of building dogs.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Sounds like someone wanted it there way and got it.Sounds like another useless law that changes nothing.The way I see it you could have ten neighbors with 3 dogs =30 or ten neighbors with 7 having no dogs and then three with ten each which in the end is the same.My neighborhood has a lot of dogs for only having a maybe a 150 homes in it there's probably twice that in dogs with Quite a few people with three or more.Does it even matter what address they are assigned to?Another niegborhood the same size may have hardly any dogs.The people that wanted that rule are selfish in denying others the right to own more pets.Those people belong in the big city's in a high rise with a fish in a bowl for a pet.I was told once that if someone doesn't like dogs or if a dog don't like someone don't trust that person.lol

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Hello,

This is my first post here and I hope I am in the right place. If not please inform me and I apologize in advance.

I just found out that in Saginaw MI City you cannot own more than three dogs. I have five, a mother, and father and her three pups. They are all Standard Poodles. (I will not have more unless I move to a farm in some rural area) and since they are related, they must be clipped to prevent inbreeding. Training them is quite difficult and requires ALL day work. Not complaining. I enjoy it. Thankfully I work from home so I can do this.

I was told by Animal Control in Midland that I can easily take care of this by getting a Kennel License. The problem is that I cannot find where the forms are. Perhaps, I'm just a idiot looking in the wrong place.

Does anyone know where I can get a Kennel License at? Is there a online form? I don't want to ever face to possibility of having to give up my even two of my Poodles. I'm attached. I've gotten them there first shots, bought collars, colorful dogbone shaped one. I've named them. I love them. They are apart of my family already.The idea of losing anyone them makes me want to cry like a pathetic three year old.

P.S. The second was before Daemon (that's his name) even opened his eyes...
View attachment 277611 View attachment 277612 View attachment 277610

So if anyone knows where I can purchase a Kennel License? I can't find it.
First thing you need to do is contact the city of Saginaw, not Midland.
In Midland, when I used to have a kennel license, the dogs had to be in an outdoor kennel, not indoor dogs.

I'll be surprised if you can get a kennel license in the city limits.

Keep us posted on what happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts