Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a four-month old Vizsla pup and my wife is very concerned about her staying warm this winter. She stays in her kennel only while we are both at work during the day, otherwise she is in the house with the family. Any ideas, comments, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what we currently have for her...

We have a three-stall garage and I built a kennel for her on the back of the third stall. Half of the kennel is outside, half of it is in the garage with a doggie-door in between. Inside she has a heavy-duty plastic dog house with a plastic flap type door on it. Inside the dog house covering the entire floor is a 2" thick foam rubber pad with a platic cover on it. On top of the foam pad in the back half of the house is a heated pad specifically for dogs, in the front half of the house is a fuzzy pad.

Is this enough to keep her warm when it gets REALLY cold or should I do more??

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
She's dry, off of the floor, & out of the wind. Sounds like enough to me. That's the same setup that I have for my dogs, except I don't have the heated pad.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Should be fine. Vizslas definitely need heat if kenneled. All of the V breeders that I know of that maintain kennels have a heated doghouse in the inside run that sounds identical to your setup.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mark,
My GSP's stay outside also.
In their houses I installed a Wet Location Light. You can get these from an electrical supply house, they are used for many applications such as Meat Packaging Facilities. Basically they are an enclosed light that wire is run to thru plastic conduit, they have a heavy glass jar cover. I mounted them to the inner roof of the houses, and power them with a Thermo cube from TSC. This is a two plug unit that turns power on at 35 degrees, off at 45 degrees. I also added red glass covers to the lights and use a green bulb, this way they put out heat but not much light. You would have to experiment with what wattage bulb to use based on how well you dog house is insulated. These along with Cedar wood chips and on a zero degree day, my houses will stay around 60 degrees.
For me, I never liked the pads much because my dogs tend to chew on stuff every now and then. I also have noticed that many of the pads are designed to have nothing on top of them.
Good Luck,

Mike

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think the heating pad would be enough, We have a couple pups outside in the barn right now, and they have a heat lamp along with some bedding and they are doing just fine at 8 weeks old

Sarah

·
Registered
135 Posts
I throw my nickel in

I'm with "ONpoint" on this one----When I had kennel full of dogs thats how I heated their dog houses in winter time....NOw that I have just 3 they share the same heat I do:lol: :p

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
sounds like your doing everything you can. if the wife is worried have her put a sweater on the dog. won't hurt and she gets to baby him some.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
john warren said:
sounds like your doing everything you can. if the wife is worried have her put a sweater on the dog. won't hurt and she gets to baby him some.
Yeah, that's the last thing she needs to see is the pink sweater with the heart on it... :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts