Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
29,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's alot of posts on this subject, but was curious if anyone has used a chest freezer to keep minnow alive? I know they're air tight, should hold water, and you could keep water cold too. Just would need a fish tank air stone for O2. Thanks for info, no looking to go into business or anything, but if could atleast keep them alive for a month at a time, that would be great.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Guys down here on the SCR can't keep them alive overnight. They all are showing signs of VHSs and don't keep at all when dipped out of of the river. Same guy could keep them for weeks to amonth before but they all die overnight now. Bad news for sure.

·
Premium Member
29,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gilly said:
Guys down here on the SCR can't keep them alive overnight. They all are showing signs of VHSs and don't keep at all when dipped out of of the river. Same guy could keep them for weeks to amonth before but they all die overnight now. Bad news for sure.

VHSs :confused: I know if you can keep them cold, the oxygen isn't that important. I can keep them a long time in winter on indoor porch unless it gets in single digits, then they go in basement. In warmer weather I usually put them in garage fridge and they do pretty good, but looking to keep a larger quantity if I do alot of perchin on bay in summer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ralph Smith said:
In warmer weather I usually put them in garage fridge and they do pretty good, but looking to keep a larger quantity if I do alot of perchin on bay in summer.
if you plan on keeping alot then why not just going with the whole fish tank... airator and all and just keep that in the basement or someplace cooler... maybe they will start breeding:lol: naw but i think if you just kept it like a normal fish tank souldnt they live like something you would buy from the store

·
Premium Member
29,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
arcticcatet71 said:
if you plan on keeping alot then why not just going with the whole fish tank... airator and all and just keep that in the basement or someplace cooler... maybe they will start breeding:lol: naw but i think if you just kept it like a normal fish tank souldnt they live like something you would buy from the store
I thought they would need cooler temps than tropical fish ? Now that you mentioned it, the place in Bay city (old town party store) has there's in large glass tanks, that may be fish tanks. I thought it might be cheaper to find an old freezer on side of road somewhere, versus buying fish tank. Usually if they are bad, the glass leaks or is broke. Most bait shops minnow tanks, look like chest freezers, thats what I was thinking.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Ph /Temp is everything in all fish .Plus Bio.Anyone that has a fish tank or knows about ph /temp.Should not have a problem at all.You take any fish and put it in clean water is a dead fish .Ph levels is a must.,Mich

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Hey, Ralph.

Don't know what size feezer you may be thinking about, but I just replaced a small chest freezer I keep in my garage. The old one is about 30" square and 3.5' tall. I was going to set it out to the road this week but if you want it for your "tank", it's all yours.
PM me and we'll set up the hand off, maybe in Saginaw somewhere (maybe near the Zil ?) 'cause I work there every weekday.
I'll hold off setting it out 'till I hear from you.

Whale

·
Registered
710 Posts
Go and get yourself a fish tank airator....and buy a air stone from frabill and some hose to run it to your bait bucket....ive keep flat head minnows alive for weeks:)

·
Registered
781 Posts
Just for an experiment I put one in my fish tank to see if it would live. It has been alive since I last went ice-fishing in February. It's actually nice to watch it for lessons on properly presenting a plastic to mimic a real one. It eats to flakes I give the other fish. I think I will start keeping my left overs in there from now instead of dumping them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Large cooler might be cheaper than an aquarium. Just need to make sure it is clean. Be careful what you clean with. That can take out your fish real fast. If you can find a cheap power head or aquarium filter, that will help keep your fish alive longer.

just a few thoughts.

Scandog

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Dialtone said:
Just for an experiment I put one in my fish tank to see if it would live. It has been alive since I last went ice-fishing in February. It's actually nice to watch it for lessons on properly presenting a plastic to mimic a real one. It eats to flakes I give the other fish. I think I will start keeping my left overs in there from now instead of dumping them.
There ya go ;) .You can keep any minnows alive easy .Dont have to be in a tank but try to find someone with fish tank water that is old.This will help keep them alive.Or get a few buckets off water from bait shop should work.Long as they have air should be np at all, Mich

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,435 Posts
I can keep perch minnows alive in a styrafoam container outside as long as the temprature is fairly stable this time of year, usually.
Not so sure that would be the case this week, seems we are finally getting January 2007!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I bought a cheap bubbler with a 3' tube at K-mart or Walmart a few years ago that works great. We keep our minnows in a larger size cooler and dip out the dead ones. Don't use faucet water to fill the cooler if you have clorinated? city water though. Also noticed our minnows did fine until we went to the bait store and they dumped out our water and added thier own with the new minnows. Their water was river cold and immediately killed our cellar warmed minnows.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
back when managaed the store yet we tried to keep the minow tank under 60 the seemed to do a lot better that way...but I had an ice machine right there to use......im sure an old chest freezer would work Ralph..just look in to getting a timer so you can keep it cold not too cold though...........but ive noticed lately too.....after 4 days half die no matter what..but if the harbors stay full of minows like this the bait shops are gonna go under..

if you have city water take a 5 gal pale and fill it with hot water then leave it go a day or two....will give the chemicals time to disapate into the air i guess ...seems to keep mine alive for a while like that any way...and the bait saver additive does work if you can find it

if you stop at walshes in caseville a freezer works for them

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
i bring them home after i'm done fishing and put them in a 5 gallon bucket of cold water. everyday i change water and i can keep shinners a week in the garage

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
Over the winter I have kept minnows alive for a month or more in Styrofoam bait buckets or Styrofoam coolers. They certainly are easier to move around than a chest freezer, even a small one. (the chest freezer could be left unplugged and filled with shredded leaves and worm bedding to raise crawlers, though)

During the warm months the water should be aerated using an aquarium air pump and hose and stone all available at inexpensive prices from a pet store. Fill one of the buckets with water and let it age one day before using for the minnows. Most of the bait buckets hold one gallon of water with some room left at the top.

Styrofoam buckets or coolers can be cleaned easily by filling with water and adding a 1/2 to one cup of regular bleach. Let this diluted bleach mix sit for several hours to one day. Wipe down sides and dump bleach water. Rinse well and put in water to age.

·
Premium Member
29,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the replies guys, and thanks whale for freezer. Haven't had problem in colder months, just warm weather in summer, so will be getting something set up with air. If I can get it going good, and start catching some of these minnows around the marinas I'll stock it up in a hurry:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts