Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was just wondering for those of you who take your dog out on the boat with you, did you have to train it to stay in the boat, or did it just stay in on its own. If you had to train it, how did you go about doing it?. I have 2 brittanys that I would love to get out on the boat with me (and the family sometimes), but they don't want to stay in the boat. If they see a bird or anything, they want to jump in and get it. It doesn't matter if I am anchored or going full speed (50+ mph in my ski and fish). So the few times that they have gone with us, they were on a leash and my wife ended up bruised from head to toe just trying to keep them in the boat.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
an e-collar helps. it keeps me from having to drag my 96lb lab back into the boat more than 5 or 6 times in a single trip (would be around 50 without it lol)

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Had a Springer/Lab mix, that LOVED riding in the boat. But would want to "bail" if a bird was seen:rolleyes: . A leash with one of the seat posts thru the loop eliminated that problem and made life alot easier for all. C-man

·
Registered
809 Posts
i guess dogs are like humans,some are smarter than others:D my boxer,is great in the boat until u hit shore than hes flying out.when bass fishin i swear he can hear the diff. in my reel when i hook one then gets all :dizzy: crazy....

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
be careful with the leash around a seat post idea. when mine was a pup he tried to jump out and was hanging by his neck at the gunwale.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Many years ago my Mom and Dad had a mid sized poodel. He loved to go out on their pontoon. He would watch my dad's bobber and bark when it went down, he got very excited when Dad brought in a gill.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My lab paces back and forth non stop and if you try to cast when fishing he goes nuts and starts wimpering and crying. He now stays at home for the fishing trips.:dizzy:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I have a Brittany and she loves to go with me.
When I am getting the boat ready she just about goes crazy thinking I am leaving her home.
When running out on my 17ft and she stands with front feet on the bow and looking over the side, if it gets too bumpy she will come back right next to me.
One time jigging the river, we were done fishing and I had my granddaughter tossing minnows and worms to a pair of mallards, my brit was walking the gunnels. I thought for sure she was going to jump in, but she didn't.
When we go out on the 22 crestliner, she can't wait to go, likes to get up on the motor box so she can see all around.
Oh yeah, she can be laying down and if someone starts to reel in, she will have her front paws up on the gunnel trying to see what you caught, and she has to give the fish a lick too.
The only time she becomes a problem is when we get back to the dock, but I understand her needs, she has to have a patch of grass. :) :lol:
Rich

·
Registered
909 Posts
Very timly question.

I hope to be the new owner of my first boat this Saturday. The reason I am transitioning from a canoe to a boat is specifically so that I can take my dog. Recently rescued from a neglect/abuse situation in Kentucky, she is my true buddy. I even took her to look at the boat for the deposit. She wagged her tail, that convinced me it was a go.

Saturday is the test drive, but she won't be there, as too much information needs to be processed that day. Regardless, I see a dog in a boat the same as I see any obedience item. Dogs that obey their master's (aka Alpha dog in the pack) commands (like heel, sit, come, stay and "no") should be obediant on water as well as on land. Now that we have the theory down, I'll know pretty soon whether I'm right.

Remember, an obedient dog is a happy dog - with a happy owner. But sometimes I must admit, seeing their enthusiasm and joy in "jumping in" just plain warms the cockles of your heart.;)

I really believe that obedience is the key.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Flash, you pretty much nailed it on the head.

One theory I always believed, Don't let a puppy get away with anything that you don't want them to do later in life. ( beg, paw at you, sleep on the couch, bed, jump out the truck window, or whatever )

I took my lab out in my 12' aluminum right away. I built a special deck just for him. His only rule was that he either had to sit or lay down the entire time in the boat, because I knew he was going to grow, and would toss the boat around as he did. Little did I know how much he was going to grow... Now 105lbs! he doesn't go in that boat anymore!!

But my point.... He never once tried to leave the boat, once the command was given. It was reinforced with looks or a don't even think about it! from time to time and or a good boy!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I have a beagle that loves the boat and water.

Who has learned the hard way not to jump out of the boat

When he was a pup we took him river fishing. Dog was in front of the boat, jumped in and started floating down stream.

Had to go and fish him out of the river. :rant:

Since then he has been a good pup, has only jumped out when we were getting close to shore. He had to go man :lol:

Sad thing is... he only gets excited over a bass that over 14' Any thing else gets a lift of the head and back to nap.

I have fished with him out of a canoe and my current v hull. I found that after building him his personal spot in the boat (up front and out of the way) He moves less and behaves more.

·
Registered
909 Posts
swamptromper said:
Sad thing is... he only gets excited over a bass that over 14' Any thing else gets a lift of the head and back to nap.
I can certainly understand why a 13' bass would be no big deal. However for me, I'm tickled at anything approaching 1'. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I know, I know - you meant inches.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts