Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

KEEPIN' IT FRESH!

1078 6
THIS SUMMER I AM GOING TO TRY AND KEEP MY MINNOWS AND SUCH ALIVE BEHIND THE HOUSE IN A TANK. ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO KEEP THEM ALIVE? I ALREADY HAVE AN AERATOR, BUT I DONT HAVE ACCESS TO RUNNING WATER BACK THERE. THANK YOU! CHRIS
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Don't forget the filter to keep the water clean, heater to keep the water temp steady, food to keep them fed and a cover to keep other critters out of the tank.

Other than that, it should be easy....

------------------
Max
Waterford MI
Max's Shopping Center
wff,

I sometimes buy minnows at Hook, Line and Sinker in Lake Orion and the minnows are kept in water that is very blue. I believe some type of chemical is used but have never asked. The minnows I buy from there last much longer than any that I have bought at bait shops near Lake St. Clair. I once kept a 2 gallon bucket of minnows for over a week without changing the water, feeding, or caring for them and none died. You might want to check into this.
IVE GOT A FREIND IN THE BAIT AND TACKLE BUSINESS, ILL ASK HIM WHAT THE BLUE STUFF IS. I NOTICED THE OTHE RDAY WHEN I WAS THERE THAT HE USES IT. THANKS FOR THE TIPS GUYS!
When you find out what the blue stuff is can you either post or email me so I can maybe get some if I need it.

Thanks.

John
I can't tell you what the blue stuff is but I can tell you what it does for leeches! It super charges them. Some years ago I had a bait dealer give me about a cupfull of the blue granules/crystals and told me to use it quite sparingly with my leeches and it would more then keep them healthy/lively for a week in Canada.
It seems like I used about a teaspoon in a bucket with 150 leeches in it and talk about becoming hyper! Holy Cow! I changed the water quite often because of the heat and always added the granules afterwards. Those leeches were just as lively after 7 days as they were when I bought them!
My crew nicknamed the stuff the "Leech Spanish Fly"
It sounds like the same stuff you add to aquariums when adding new fish, I've always used the same kind, you can get it any Meijers, I think the name is Stress-Kote. Never thought about using it for bait.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.