Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thank you Don - I completely agree, this article nails it. Well done. Your balanced approach is much needed and honestly quite enviable. I have bowed out of this thread because it turns me into a jerk (well, that and complete lack of sleep from a looooong Hex season now) and I apologize for anyone I offended. But this article speaks very well for my vantage point. Thank you.

Fish on!

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Without reading the link... Dave Chappelle comes to mind... it looks like this.... A slot system... works everywhere it has been implemented... Now the "real" problem... just what method can we use to take our slot fish....

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,548 Posts
I think 80%+ of the people do today, probably more so than anytime in history. Recent studies are showing this high rate of catch and release among anglers. Kind of makes the argument for the need of gear restricted water even more irrelevant.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don - what would consider keeping and putting back?
I would think a few inches over the min. And the big stuff keep in your memory and forget the pictures keep it in the water n let it go.

John

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
...."You're not going to catch me arguing about the virtues of one approach over another. That's the stuff that makes the PETA people light up with glee.
I say that all anglers are in it together. We should stick together, no matter what. In the end, what really matters is having the habitat that makes fishing opportunities of all sorts possible in the first place."
Yo, METTLEFISH, the Dave Chappelle reference went over my head (been concussed too many times...); did I miss the joke? Thanks!

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
...."You're not going to catch me arguing about the virtues of one approach over another. That's the stuff that makes the PETA people light up with glee.
I say that all anglers are in it together. We should stick together, no matter what. In the end, what really matters is having the habitat that makes fishing opportunities of all sorts possible in the first place."
Yo, METTLEFISH, the Dave Chappelle reference went over my head (been concussed too many times...); did I miss the joke? Thanks!
I will admit that I do keep my fair share of fish, on the other hand I release a few more than I keep. PETA idiots just piss me off as they don't spend a dime on the resource and they sure do believe that their voice is the only one out there. Over the years I have had a few encounters with huggers and I am not afraid to let them know that financially I have paid my dues and that they should shut up and move along. If people post pics of dead fish and critters on this site and it offends PETA people mabey they should stay on the PETA site. I have also been known to go to their site and post what they would call offensive material. They have mod's too and whatever I post usually does not last too long.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Don - what would consider keeping and putting back?
I would think a few inches over the min. And the big stuff keep in your memory and forget the pictures keep it in the water n let it go.

John
Hi John,

IMO, it depends on what the goal is.

If you're managing a stream for brook trout, you should probably remove every brown up to your limit, since they are predatory, especially on smaller brook trout.

If you are managing, on the other hand, for trophy brown trout, then you might use a protected slot and remove more from the small end (just above legal) so there are fewer fish, but more food per trout.

All of that said, I think Ray already hit the nail on the head. The vast majority of anglers are already practicing some amount of catch and release, based on their personal choices. And on average that works out just fine. Some fish are removed, but over-harvest is basically a non-concern because of this moderate approach.

IMO, just about anything done in moderation is good and anything taken too far is, well, taken too far. :)

Have a good weekend everyone,
Don

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
Good thread Don. The DNR is responsible for managing our resources and whatever a individual chooses to do beyond that within the law is up to the individual. Like you said, if you like one trout over another you can make those individual choices as well.

I know some fishermen who fish only a few times a year and will keep their limit if they are lucky enough to catch a limit. Individual choice within the rules. If you feel compelled to release all your fish because you feel you are being unselfish that’s what you should do.

What does divide us are those who criticize lawful anglers for doing things they choose not to do themselves and while these people have a right to their opinion it serves no useful purpose to show disdain for those who choose not to adopt their values. Trout are a renewable resource and like most wild things, nature provides an overabundance to make up for the inevitable losses.

Planted trout are a bonus to trout fishermen which increased the fishing opportunity in streams with little natural reproduction, spreads out the pressure and offers an opportunity to utilize them for the table so perhaps increased limits in those areas should be a consideration especially in the last two months or so of the season.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
The Chappelle Ref. was regarding Don's statement of summing things up.... "G I wonder what that may look (sound) like!..."

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
IMO, just about anything done in moderation
Thats what my great grandmother always used to tell me..... And she was right 99.9% of the time...

Now if I could just take that advice and tie it into drinking beer, I'd be all set. But if that first one goes down easy, thats all she wrote :D

Seriously though, awesome thread Don. We're not ever going to completely agree when it comes to our trout, but if this simple idea can be used as a common thought process throughout all the interest groups, I think getting along and finding a general stance that we can all agree on will become a lot easier...... Just my .02cents

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
The Chappelle Ref. was regarding Don's statement of summing things up.... "G I wonder what that may look (sound) like!..."
cool beans, thanks....I wish Dave would come back in to the spotlight again, what a comic genius...and yes, in everything: moderation........

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Good thread Don. The DNR is responsible for managing our resources and whatever a individual chooses to do beyond that within the law is up to the individual. Like you said, if you like one trout over another you can make those individual choices as well.

I know some fishermen who fish only a few times a year and will keep their limit if they are lucky enough to catch a limit. Individual choice within the rules. If you feel compelled to release all your fish because you feel you are being unselfish that’s what you should do.

What does divide us are those who criticize lawful anglers for doing things they choose not to do themselves and while these people have a right to their opinion it serves no useful purpose to show disdain for those who choose not to adopt their values. Trout are a renewable resource and like most wild things, nature provides an overabundance to make up for the inevitable losses.

Planted trout are a bonus to trout fishermen which increased the fishing opportunity in streams with little natural reproduction, spreads out the pressure and offers an opportunity to utilize them for the table so perhaps increased limits in those areas should be a consideration especially in the last two months or so of the season.
VERY well put! I don't know of anything more inflammatory than for a C&R extremist to criticize a fellow fisherman for his choice to keep (and post?) what he chooses. It happens WAY too often on this site. And that same issue applies to trophy deer hunters and the way they criticize those who choose to shoot a buck with a "small" rack. I sincerely hope that moderation (as determined by the DNR) contiinues to prevail over the "squeaky wheel" special interest groups of sportsmen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts