Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious what Kayaks you guys are using. I was looking at a Pelican Castaway 116 that is more of a sit on top or open design. I am 6'2 and 240 and not sure I could get into some of those cockpits with waders on.....Scott

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I have a 14 foot old town 2 man that can fit at least one bag of decoys and I can shoot from any direction. When I wear waders in it I always unbuckle the suspenders though just in case I have to swim out of them.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got the old town 14' camo'd model (I dont remember the name). It's a 2 man design with only a single seat. Plenty of room for me (290) my dog in front of me and a bag of dekes in back. Huge cockpit opening for entry/exit.

Dan

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
If you're looking at sit on tops the Malibu Stealth series and X-Factor are both great choices for your size. They have huge carrying capacities and are incredibly stable. The Ocean Kayak Big Game is another one with good stability, but a little tough to paddle. For a smaller and less expensive sit on top the Malibu Mini-X is tough to beat. It's only 9 feet in length, but super lightweight and very stable.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I am 6'3" and somewhere in the neighborhood of 260lbs. I fit real well fully dressed (waders, jacket etc) into my Wilderness Systems Pamlico, which is 13'6" long. This is a tandem kayak cockpit style and will support 600 pounds. The only paddling issue that I had was learning to balance the load properly. Good Luck with your shopping. By the way there is one style out now, not sure who makes it, but instead of paddling you pedal,it was designed for hunting and fishing

·
Registered
117 Posts
I hunt out of a Native Ultimate. This is a great Kayak, very stable with a beveled hull. I would recommend the 14'5". I use the 12 foot because I fish the small to mid-sized rivers. I fit up to 3 doz duck decoys, 4 over-sized geese, large hunt bag, and 5 gallon bucket. Best thing is comfort and stability. The watercraft is rather pricey however, about $ 1K, but well worth it...

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Otter Phantom, 9.5 feet long weighhs 55 lbs, rated for 350lbs. Easy to paddle with a kayak paddle, but more stable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts