Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The time frame you are looking at I would put in at lower branch and take out at wahalla. That section will be far less crowded, esp if you put in early and get ahead of the guides. Very diverse water in that section, deep holes, gravel, riffles. You will get some funny looks but a big fat night crawler in the dark water behind redds will produce some nice browns and maybe a early run steelhead. Have fun, salmon season will be in full effect. A lot of good fun and the occasional roll your eyes and keep rowing!!

Reactions: Uncle Boopoo

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The time frame you are looking at I would put in at lower branch and take out at wahalla. That section will be far less crowded, esp if you put in early and get ahead of the guides. Very diverse water in that section, deep holes, gravel, riffles. You will get some funny looks but a big fat night crawler in the dark water behind redds will produce some nice browns and maybe a early run steelhead. Have fun, salmon season will be in full effect. A lot of good fun and the occasional roll your eyes and keep rowing!!
I appreciate the advice! Any little bit helps. I’ve been watching videos on YouTube and it looks fairly simple but everyone seems to have their own way of doing things.

I’m gonna have another rookie with me and our priority for the weekend is getting the property ready for deer season, so I’m not exactly sure what time of day we’re gonna float. We’ll probably just watch the weather and whatever day/time looks better is when we’ll float. I could see how getting out early and ahead of the other guys could be beneficial.

Lower branch bridge is the closest spot to us but I’ve never floated down that far. About how long does it take to float to walhalla from there?

Does Branch grocery sell cure?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Three hour float without stopping. The grocery has cure and a decent selection of tackle. Cured skein is available in Scottville at Henrey landing and a even better selection of tackle. Have fun

Reactions: Uncle Boopoo

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
The breakfast pizza is also very good at the branch store
I pretty much live on that pizza during deer and turkey season. I’ll even try to time it to show up right when the fresh ones are brought out. The rest of their food isn’t bad either. That’s the closest place with phone signal so I’m in there almost daily when I’m up there.

They have a decent little tackle isle that I’ll probably pick up a few small things, just wasn’t sure if they had cure. A lot of the other tackle I’ll bring from home.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts