Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After talking through private messaging and text earlier with fellow kayaking fishing dudes from here, there's not much chance of me getting much more done at work today with fish on the brain. So I'm starting this thread. We have Tawas 2022, Frankfort 2022, etc, so now we have "kayak fishing 2022". A place to share info, upcoming trips, fishing reports and potential group outing's with other folks who like to fish with our butts near or below the water line. Wish the upcoming weekend wasn't looking so nasty, but I may get out if something reasonable looks doable. One of these days I may try the spring crappie thing, but plenty of great big water options coming now and in the weeks ahead. Good luck and be safe everyone!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for starting this brother (literally). I'd love to see some traffic on this thread this year, whether it's big water adventures or a trip out to one's local lake or river. I'm hoping "Fisheater Bob" will be willing to show off his newly acquired canoe as its a beauty. Won't be quite the same as seeing him trolling the big water in his classic green canoe but I'm sure we'll adjust (besides, he'll still always be "Hi I'm Bob, I fish out of a green canoe").

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow! Awesome job on the perch! Bob that rig is just plain cool!

Reactions: motoscoota

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
It has Scotty mounts for my rod holders. I ordered Ram mounts to hook up the FF. I also need a Scotty mount for my Visi Carbon light/flag.

Other than that I wouldn’t mind adding a nice mess of perch like yours to slime her up properly!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just decided to log on here, as I too finally hit a wall, and got the itch this past couple weeks. Spent a week in Florida end of Feb, and while I got out to fish Sea Trout in the bay on a small center console with some friends, near Sanibel Island, I was droolng when we spent three days in the Keys, and I didn't have my kayak with me. So much good opportunity down there.

So in addition to buying some new lures and few things for the kayak, I went and signed up for the TopWater Series Roots league which starts 4/5. And just remembered I can't make the first one on my home water of Reeds Lake in East GR.

I am busy as ever with work, and hope, just hope to hit Lake St. Clair for Muskie, Lake Michigan for Salmon/Steelhead, and as much pike and bass fishing I can get to this summer. Tight lines and don't forget to buy your 2022 Fishing License before Friday!
Water Sky Shorts Cloud Smile

·
Registered
710 Posts
Looks like I made it to the assembly:)

Been thinking about you guys a lot lately - as the ice has melted away:) I also am getting "the itch"!

@fisheater :
That is a sick boat! I'm really curious about it - seems absolutely fantastic for some multi-day excursions. What's the weight capacity? Looks like you could pack a kitchen sink;) Wondering what sort if paddle you will pair with(?). I suppose one could do a single, canoe-style or a double, kayak-style. Please let us know how well it tracks - can it use a rudder? Just totally can't stop thinking about that beautiful boat.

I'm embarrassed to say: I was looking back on some photos, and realized I haven't been out on my kayak since 2016!!! What is my problem? Life seems to be carrying me away;)

Reactions: JasonCarp

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was really tempted to go this weekend since I had three days off in a row but the weather was just too crappy. I can wait another week or so for a little warm up. Heck, the pond in my backyard is starting to freeze over again with these cold overnight temps!

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
lots of ice up here in the eastern u.p. so the kayak is going to sit in the garage for at least a few more weeks. I picked up some new hooks, plastics, weights and line today and organized my bass and pike fishing vest this evening. Inland lakes/ Les Cheneaux bass/pike and river walleye are primary targets. I'll use it to chase salmon this fall.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
@motoscoota Really good trout fishing in the Manistee area. Staging salmon in Manistee Lake, as well as near shore opportunities.
As for the capacities of the Canak, here’s the link to the Wenonah specs:

There are a lot of opportunities in the Manistee area. Congratulations when you close the deal! I have a buddy that will retire in the Wellston area in a couple years. We’ve had an annual Trout Opener at hi place for over twenty years.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have plans to check out Negwegon state park this summer at some point.
I usually hit Higgins lake one or two times as well, but with a baby on the way time probably won't permit.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I just decided to log on here, as I too finally hit a wall, and got the itch this past couple weeks. Spent a week in Florida end of Feb, and while I got out to fish Sea Trout in the bay on a small center console with some friends, near Sanibel Island, I was droolng when we spent three days in the Keys, and I didn't have my kayak with me. So much good opportunity down there.

So in addition to buying some new lures and few things for the kayak, I went and signed up for the TopWater Series Roots league which starts 4/5. And just remembered I can't make the first one on my home water of Reeds Lake in East GR.

I am busy as ever with work, and hope, just hope to hit Lake St. Clair for Muskie, Lake Michigan for Salmon/Steelhead, and as much pike and bass fishing I can get to this summer. Tight lines and don't forget to buy your 2022 Fishing License before Friday! View attachment 823739
We were a month in Bonita Springs (February) and booked a charter out of Punta Rassa, I’ll have my kayak next year lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well finally a little something to report. Johnny O and I fished just south of Lexington Sunday morning. Would have liked to fish further North but wind / waves made this area our best choice. I managed to catch two very tasty coho, and John missed a big rip and landed also boated a toad of a smallmouth. I threw everything at 'em, but both fish came on a gold and black thinfin 55 ft. back. 10-13 ft of water.
Food Vertebrate Fin Grey Fish
Food Vertebrate Fin Grey Fish

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
In addition to fishing locally. That would be small inland lakes, the Chippewa and Muskegon River I will be doing one trip a month to northern lower, UP and possibly Canada with a kayak in tow. Wasn't able to get out this past weekend with these warmer temps to many other commitments. Next decent day I should have something to report.

Looking forward to some smooth water.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts