Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a 9 day DIY bowhunt in Kansas. I hunted the same places as last season and what a difference! The KDWP has taken a HUGE step backwards in 2008 by increasing the amount of non-resident archery tags that are available. Basically everyone who applied got a tag and there were also thousands of leftovers. As a result, our hunting area's were over-run with out of state hunters, mostly guys from Michigan who are fed up with Michigan's long history of managing deer for quantity and not quality! When hunting in Kansas you typically see few deer but when you do see one it's often times a nice buck. It takes a while to get used to the very sparse sign that you find there but once you actually start hunting it's surprising the size of the deer that you see. This year however we saw about 5 times more hunters than last season at the same time, and fewer deer probably due to the increase in hunting pressure. Now couple that with the fact that more hunters means more dead deer and the quality of a Kansas hunt is doomed to be like Michigan's in years to come. It's a real shame that a state with Kansas's history of being a big buck hot spot has taken such a huge step backwards.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
This year however we saw about 5 times more hunters than last season at the same time, and fewer deer probably due to the increase in hunting pressure. Now couple that with the fact that more hunters means more dead deer and the quality of a Kansas hunt is doomed to be like Michigan's in years to come. It's a real shame that a state with Kansas's history of being a big buck hot spot has taken such a huge step backwards.
So what you are saying is that too many hunters all hunting for trophy bucks are going to change the state to look like michigan? You mean are problem all along has been too many trophy hunters? I have always suspected that if you want to see large racked bucks you need to quit killing them.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It's all about revenue, NR pay alot more for a license than residents. And NR usually spend money on other items when they come.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Thats not what I meant but i can see thats how it reads. What i meant is that Kansas hunting is going to suck as bad as Michigan.
I knew that. I was just having a little fun with it. I think the bottom line is that too many hunters in one area is bad for the overall hunting experience. Anytime you have a quality resource that many know about and want to use, you will have this problem. It's just common sense. Look what happens to the rivers in the fall when the salmon are spawning or in the spring when the steelhead are running. The word will get out that the hunting is going downhill in Kansas and the trend will reverse itself.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Not sure where you were in KS, but it seemed lower this year where we normally go. I wasn't hunting in KS, was hunting in NE, but stayed in KS and there was less hunters there then in the past. The ones we talked with at the hotel didn't seem to be seeing many others on the walk on land either.

I would agree though, overall i think it will end up being a negative for killing big bucks in KS. I don't think it will ever get near as bad as MI, but it won't be as good as it has been in the past, unless you can find places where other people aren't.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Maybe you should stop going, huh? After all, you're one of those non-resident hunters, right?

Sorry...couldn't help it.

Seriously, how much land did you hunt that was private? How much land did you have around you that was public? If you were hunting public land, a lot of those hunters MAY have been bird hunters-although I have seen deer hunters when I was in Kansas, most of the non-residents I saw were bird hunters...

and as long as there are big tracts of private land, which is the case in most of central and eastern Kansas, I doubt you have to worry about too many bowhunters.

And I highly doubt that Kansas will ever become like Michigan in terms of deer hunting-first of all, there's too much food which makes for high quality deer that Michigan simply doesn't have...and half the winter we get. Second, with the failing economy, and until recently, incredible price of gas that I have no doubt is going to see a return, non-resident hunters of any type are likely to become more of a rarity out there than a problem.

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
I just returned from a 9 day DIY bowhunt in Kansas. I hunted the same places as last season and what a difference! The KDWP has taken a HUGE step backwards in 2008 by increasing the amount of non-resident archery tags that are available. Basically everyone who applied got a tag and there were also thousands of leftovers. As a result, our hunting area's were over-run with out of state hunters, mostly guys from Michigan who are fed up with Michigan's long history of managing deer for quantity and not quality! When hunting in Kansas you typically see few deer but when you do see one it's often times a nice buck. It takes a while to get used to the very sparse sign that you find there but once you actually start hunting it's surprising the size of the deer that you see. This year however we saw about 5 times more hunters than last season at the same time, and fewer deer probably due to the increase in hunting pressure. Now couple that with the fact that more hunters means more dead deer and the quality of a Kansas hunt is doomed to be like Michigan's in years to come. It's a real shame that a state with Kansas's history of being a big buck hot spot has taken such a huge step backwards.
Tell ya what! Do us Michiganders a big favor and get all of yer buddies who share the same sentiments about Michigan hunting that you do(sucks)and get them to go to Kansas with you. Then those of us who DO enjoy hunting in our home state, and spending our hard-earned money in our home state, who don't think that Michigan hunting is all that bad, will have less hunters like yourself who whine and complain about the hunting in Michigan to have to deal with and listen to. Thankyou very much.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Uhh..I was on a DIY bowhunting trip in Kansas from the 7th to the 14th and I saw wayyyyyyyyy more birders than bow hunters. I also saw wayyyyyyy more shooter bucks in a day there than I have ever seen in MI. So, I don't see what you're getting at. :chillin: Oh, to make you feel a little better, I passed on an 8 that scored at least 130, maybe 140....But that spike...DEAD :lol:

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Tell ya what! Do us Michiganders a big favor and get all of yer buddies who share the same sentiments about Michigan hunting that you do(sucks)and get them to go to Kansas with you. Then those of us who DO enjoy hunting in our home state, and spending our hard-earned money in our home state, who don't think that Michigan hunting is all that bad, will have less hunters like yourself who whine and complain about the hunting in Michigan to have to deal with and listen to. Thankyou very much.
Skipper the guy has been doing what you have ask me to do, hunt somewhere else. You still yell at him:lol:

It's ok to think MI hunting is great, it's also ok to think it sucks;)

·
Registered
6,873 Posts
Skipper the guy has been doing what you have ask me to do, hunt somewhere else. You still yell at him:lol:

It's ok to think MI hunting is great, it's also ok to think it sucks;)
Yeah, you're right it is okay. I just get tired of hearing it. And tell me, when did I ask you to hunt somewhere else? I don't doubt that I did, I just don't remember when. When we no longer have the PRIVILEGE of hunting, period, then it will indeed suck.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yeah, you're right it is okay. I just get tired of hearing it. And tell me, when did I ask you to hunt somewhere else? I don't doubt that I did, I just don't remember when. When we no longer have the PRIVILEGE of hunting, period, then it will indeed suck.
Don't worry that day will come soon enough when Michigan hunters are deemed incapable in managing the herd. When anti's and others grab that rope and start pulling you might look back and realize a lot of us "trophy hunters" care more about the resource than the few hundred thousand opening weekend louses!!

Meanwhile I'll spend a week or two every year I can in places that it is done right.

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
About 7 years ago I decided that Michigan hunting sucked and that if I wanted better Michigan hunting I better do something to change my situation...so I did.
First, I quit shooting 1.5 yo bucks. Second, I started shooting excess deer of the female pursuation. Third, I approach my neighbors to see if they felt the same way I did, and they did. Fourth, I started passing on 2.5 yo bucks and everything started to change, and continues to get better.

BTW, I adopted the same standards on public property that I hunt in Michigan because, IMO, QDM isn't sight specific, it's a philosophy.
Big T

·
Registered
810 Posts
BTW, I adopted the same standards on public property that I hunt in Michigan because, IMO, QDM isn't sight specific, it's a philosophy.
Big T
Amen!

·
Say My Name.
14,731 Posts
Thats not what I meant but i can see thats how it reads. What i meant is that Kansas hunting is going to suck as bad as Michigan.
Disagree. If you think the only difference between Kansas and Michigan is hunter density, I've got news for you.

1. Cultural difference on the harvest of yearling bucks.
2. The KS gun season begins December 1, after nearly all breeding has been completed.
3. The KS DNR (or whatever they're called down there) is on record as boasting of their state's superb buck age structure. Here in MI, the official line is that buck age structure is irrelevant.

If the quality of deer hunting were purely a function of hunter density, Wisconsin deer hunting would be no better than ours is.

·
Registered
902 Posts
About 7 years ago I decided that Michigan hunting sucked and that if I wanted better Michigan hunting I better do something to change my situation...so I did.
First, I quit shooting 1.5 yo bucks. Second, I started shooting excess deer of the female pursuation. Third, I approach my neighbors to see if they felt the same way I did, and they did. Fourth, I started passing on 2.5 yo bucks and everything started to change, and continues to get better.

Big T

Thats a great buck and a great point! When people start relying on the government for their happiness, especially in a recreational activity, they are in for a world of disappointment.

·
Premium Member
6,306 Posts
Actually, the reality is that non-residents could always get a tag in Kansas if they wanted one. In year's past, if you weren't successful in the lottery, you could always purchase a "landowners" tag from a resident, which was then transferred to you. Perfectly legal, but admittedly much more expensive than the traditional approach. In 07 I recall paying about $1000 for the landowner tag, and this year I paid something like $300 for the non-resident tag.

In short, bowhunting in Kansas has spoiled me for Michigan hunting. Basically I view Michigan's deer season as an opportunity to take does. The reasons for the superior deer experience there can be attributed to:

1. Much, much lower hunter densities. In terms of deer licenses sold per sq. mile of land - the data shows something like Michigan in excess of 6, while Kansas was in the neighborhood of 0.24 That equates to 24 times the "pressure" in Michigan, or 24 hunters in MI for every 1 in Michigan.
2. Abundance of agriculture, and hence food.
3. Mineral rich soil
4. Vastly different deer hunter culture, which can be attributed to #1. Basically no serious deer hunter in Kansas would even consider the harvest of anything less than 3.5 y/o.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.