Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 155 acres of hunting/farmland. I would like to sell it and either rent it back or manage it for someone so that I could purchase another property. Income from this property would return about 3% after property taxes. Hunting your own land ..nearly free! I believe 2-3 partners on this would qualify for hunt on your own land permits for a chance at trophy whitetails.
Only serious inquires please! Loren

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is in Nemaha county. Selling price is $2400 x 155 acres. There are approxamatly 130 acres of cropland. About 57 of those acres just came out of the CRP program and are still in native grasses. I would rent it back for $80 per cropland acre for three years, or sublease it to another farmer as your manager. No mineral rights go with this property. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I am just back from Kansas hunting in Jewel County where land is going for 700-1000 and acre.

Just do your research.

Kansas has great hunting and nice bucks!

TD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it is true if you travel further west you can get land cheaper because they receive less rainfall yearly. As you said just do your reasearch. If it is cheap land that you want, with little return, I would suggest you travel even further west and look at the desert of New Mexico. A nice tract of farmland near here recently sold for $3170.00 per acre. It was in a better location than mine as far as blacktop is concerned, and had little to offer for hunting.
Loren

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jewell county is not Nemaha county, and to suggest that the two are the same or equal in any way, just because they are in the same state would be a gross overstatement. go to the NASS web site and check out the whole state of Kansas. http://www.nass.usda.gov/index.asp Where are the crops coming from? Where is the livestock raised? These are the things that determine price of farmland here! Just in corn production alone, Jewell county only raises about one tenth of the amount that Nemaha county does! Please, no more of this dribble!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Whcutter-

I am not saying that your land is not worth what you are asking, but most people on this site have never hunted in Kansas and I have, so I am trying to help them out with my experince.

Yes Jewel county is 4 counties west of the one you are selling land in. yes they raise more sorgum rather than corn due to the rain fall. ( it certainly is not the desert)

BUT I have hunted in both counties and I have seen better deer, Pheasants, and Quail in Jewel County. There are Rio grande and eastern turkeys in Jewel county and Mule deer too

Your county has only Eastern turkeys but more of them, and no mule deer.

The average cost of farm land in Michigan is around 3K and acre and cheaper in some parts of the state so if a MICHIGAN sportsman was looking to buy land in Kansas I would guess they might look at land that was 1/3 the price of what the going rate in your area is less than 100 miles away.

Once agian I was just trying to help my fellow michigan sportsman put the offer in perspective, after all they would have to drive through IOWA to get there and there is some cheap land there also.

Good luck on selling your property.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great point as this is a sportsman site and not a farming site.

tdduckman said:
Whcutter-

I am not saying that your land is not worth what you are asking, but most people on this site have never hunted in Kansas and I have, so I am trying to help them out with my experince.

Yes Jewel county is 4 counties west of the one you are selling land in. yes they raise more sorgum rather than corn due to the rain fall. ( it certainly is not the desert)

BUT I have hunted in both counties and I have seen better deer, Pheasants, and Quail in Jewel County. There are Rio grande and eastern turkeys in Jewel county and Mule deer too

Your county has only Eastern turkeys but more of them, and no mule deer.

The average cost of farm land in Michigan is around 3K and acre and cheaper in some parts of the state so if a MICHIGAN sportsman was looking to buy land in Kansas I would guess they might look at land that was 1/3 the price of what the going rate in your area is less than 100 miles away.

Once agian I was just trying to help my fellow michigan sportsman put the offer in perspective, after all they would have to drive through IOWA to get there and there is some cheap land there also.

Good luck on selling your property.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts