Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
on our way to Parker Kansas 1st of November for an archery deer hunt! not sure what to expect from that area? it is a new outfitter who seems young and motivated but somewhat freaks me out a bit! I'm hoping I found a diamond in the rough. Time will tell. Any input or advise? thx

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
While you're out there, I would do some driving around and knock on some doors. The farmers in Kansas can be very cooperative with deer hunters. A future do it yourself hunt could be cheaper and very rewarding!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Premium Member
15,943 Posts
on our way to Parker Kansas 1st of November for an archery deer hunt! not sure what to expect from that area? it is a new outfitter who seems young and motivated but somewhat freaks me out a bit! I'm hoping I found a diamond in the rough. Time will tell. Any input or advise? thx
Why does he freak you out?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
basically because we send him cash so we can hunt his farms? no reviews to go by or anything like that! the land looks legit via google earth but who knows? I can sit here and not see a good deer! don't want to drop a pile of cash drive 16 hrs if ends up being a poor area to hunt.. I understand it is hunting and I'm not expecting everyone in the group to fill tags! However, hoping for a good experience

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'll be a couple hours west of you on the same day. Also with a very small outfitter. I'm just hoping for the best, should be a good week!! Keep us posted!!! :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Bring a couple bushel of apples. Do some door knocking. Get a platt book to find owners of properties. Apples are like candy to farmers. You would be surprised the doors they can open. You should do some scouting for future hunts and as mentioned the farmers are friendly. You will be hooked real easy when you see the difference between Our state and Kansas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will get you the guys information! I think it is a very fair price and really looking forward to! I will post his info!

·
Registered
7,717 Posts
Wish ya luck. But baffles me why anybody would send cash?, why anyone wouldn't get references(new or not, get the dudes mom/dad phone and call about their son or something along these lines!!?).

Hopefully, a "very fair price" doesn't turn into his phone becoming non-existence or hunting a 100 acre CRP field plot and 3 stands in three lonely trees!

Startups at least have a website, some references. Where did you meet or contact him?? Outdoor show? Website?

Be careful with newbies in the outfitting business. Good luck.

jgeorge-forgot to post guys info.?? since 2-10-15?

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Wish ya luck. But baffles me why anybody would send cash?, why anyone wouldn't get references(new or not, get the dudes mom/dad phone and call about their son or something along these lines!!?).

Hopefully, a "very fair price" doesn't turn into his phone becoming non-existence or hunting a 100 acre CRP field plot and 3 stands in three lonely trees!

Startups at least have a website, some references. Where did you meet or contact him?? Outdoor show? Website?

Be careful with newbies in the outfitting business. Good luck.

jgeorge-forgot to post guys info.?? since 2-10-15?
I understand some of your concerns, however there are no outfitter license requirements in KS. There are a TON of people that have operations like this out there.
Sure, theres always the chance to be screwed, and I agree, i would want to talk to someone as a reference, however there are a lot of good operations with no websites etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts