Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
361 - 380 of 485 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
The Kings go all the way into the head of the Betsie?

i.e. over the dam? I thought, not.

Worked up near the lake sources today. Saw a lot more fishing activity (guys in waders, kayak trailers) at lots of road crossings on my drive to & from, where I never see anyone parked earlier in summer. I have seen Kings in 1-2 feet of water in Manistee County but can’t imagine fishing for them there.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The Kings go all the way into the head of the Betsie?

i.e. over the dam? I thought, not.

Worked up near the lake sources today. Saw a lot more fishing activity (guys in waders, kayak trailers) at lots of road crossings on my drive to & from, where I never see anyone parked earlier in summer. I have seen Kings in 1-2 feet of water in Manistee County but can’t imagine fishing for them there.
I've had them swim by my canoe while paddling up the pickerel creek or grass lake area of the Betsie so they at least get up to there, and clear the smaller dam there too.

Assume if there are tribs in Duck and Green Lake they were heading that way, or they are very lost and just swimming around the marsh, never cared to go look for them.

My interest in salmon started falling a decade ago, I think I caught too many after I got out of high school.

Plan on getting out to land one for my daughter to check out, went trout fishing in a stream that gets some yesterday and they were there, luckily never hooked one with trout gear, might go back before that stream closes at the end of the month with some heavier gear.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
I had a great outdoors experience watching the Otters get very excited by their arrival in the really shallow water, once upon a time. If I had a little more free time right now I would like to sit under a tree near by for an hour or so and watch the Nature do it’s thing.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
What size thunderstricks are u guys casting

Sent from my moto e6 using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
I don't know why, but the hardware bite for me has been a bust so far this year. Maybe it's because I see everyone throwing them in the holes i've been fishing and the fish don't want them in those specific spots. The skein bite has been too hot I haven't even brought a casting rod in the last few trips out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had a great outdoors experience watching the Otters get very excited by their arrival in the really shallow water, once upon a time. If I had a little more free time right now I would like to sit under a tree near by for an hour or so and watch the Nature do it’s thing.
That sounds good, there was a mink I'd watch, an industrious little guy, he's gone now but I treasure the memories of watching him.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I don't know why, but the hardware bite for me has been a bust so far this year. Maybe it's because I see everyone throwing them in the holes i've been fishing and the fish don't want them in those specific spots. The skein bite has been too hot I haven't even brought a casting rod in the last few trips out.
It’s been the exact opposite for me. Weird fish sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #375 ·
My hardware bite was HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE this year. Think I only hooked a couple fish on spinners when normally it's 100s of hookups. Oh well what can ya do

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I remember fishing the lower BM year before last, I just got on the water. Mid morning. Set my chartreuse thunderstick in the water checking it to make sure its tracking right in the current. As God is my witness a big male king came up and whacked it right before my eyes. Maybe 10 ft from the boat? Seriously!

"Yah fish on"!!!

After a completely awkward, several minute battle, dropping my boat back and getting my line unwrapped from logs, basically a whole lot of commotion. I probably looked like an idiot. But, I managed to boat my fish.

So did the kick back and rest thing for a minute. Hands shaking. "Man that freaking kicked my azz". Pulled the anchor and motored back up to the same spot and set up again.
First cast, bammmm, another one! "Holy wah"! "Here we go again".

So I'm thinking I'm on to something here. This is going to be an epoch day. Man I worked thundersticks like a mad man rest of the day till dark. Never hooked another fish. Saw em but no biters.

They're weird for sure. Some days, moments, they're diamonds. Just never know. Right time right place? Why dont all the kings bite like that? IDK. Through the years I've had some really good days, and some really awful days. I've caught salmon in the river on skien, spawn bags, single eggs, wax worms (really just ask Quest he was there) thundersticks, rappalas, and a plethora of different spinners. Out on the pier, spoons, alewives, skein, shrimp, thundersticks, reef runners, count downs, ??? "yes Virginia, kings do bite".

Thats why I always say, "just fish".

·
Registered
165 Posts
I remember fishing the lower BM year before last, I just got on the water. Mid morning. Set my chartreuse thunderstick in the water checking it to make sure its tracking right in the current. As God is my witness a big male king came up and whacked it right before my eyes. Maybe 10 ft from the boat? Seriously!

"Yah fish on"!!!

After a completely awkward, several minute battle, dropping my boat back and getting my line unwrapped from logs, basically a whole lot of commotion. I probably looked like an idiot. But, I managed to boat my fish.

So did the kick back and rest thing for a minute. Hands shaking. "Man that freaking kicked my azz". Pulled the anchor and motored back up to the same spot and set up again.
First cast, bammmm, another one! "Holy wah"! "Here we go again".

So I'm thinking I'm on to something here. This is going to be an epoch day. Man I worked thundersticks like a mad man rest of the day till dark. Never hooked another fish. Saw em but no biters.

They're weird for sure. Some days, moments, they're diamonds. Just never know. Right time right place? Why dont all the kings bite like that? IDK. Through the years I've had some really good days, and some really awful days. I've caught salmon in the river on skien, spawn bags, single eggs, wax worms (really just ask Quest he was there) thundersticks, rappalas, and a plethora of different spinners. Out on the pier, spoons, alewives, skein, shrimp, thundersticks, reef runners, count downs, ??? "yes Virginia, kings do bite".

Thats why I always say, "just fish".
I caught one once with a chunk of sponge soaked in egg goo, I'd bottom bounce it back, retrieve, rub it into the goo and bounce it on back. Damn if a fish didn't hit it!

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 ·
I caught one once with a chunk of sponge soaked in egg goo, I'd bottom bounce it back, retrieve, rub it into the goo and bounce it on back. Damn if a fish didn't hit it!
We do the same thing with yarn when we run out of skein. Soak the yarn in the goo and bobber down!! Doesn't work every time but when they are on fire it does just fine

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Several years back I didn’t bring enough skien to the river. So I squeezed leftover borax paste on to hook and ever so lightly tossed it 4’ in front on me, by time it sunk two foot I had a fish on. King were ballistic that day. Chewed through 3/4’s gallon that evening before the paste thing lol Kang Bang that day for sure.

361 - 380 of 485 Posts