Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
341 - 360 of 485 Posts

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Today was pretty slow everywhere I went and lots of people tonight.
I'm trying some different areas tomorrow.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hello everyone. My buddy and I are medical students at Oakland University in Auburn Hills. We are trying to catch our first salmon this year. We went last year around mid September to the Pere Marquette and didn't catch anything. We barely saw any fish. We kayaked from Gleason's Landing to Rainbow Rapids. I was just wondering, is the Pere Marquette worth it? We only have 4 days off this entire month since we are in our surgical rotation, so we want to make the most of our 3-4 hour drive to the west side of the state. I was thinking of trying the Pere Marquette again on kayaks from Sulak to Lower branch bridge. Or should we try kayaking the Betsie? I literally just want to try to catch one fresh fish and bring it home to the wife to cook for her to justify my fishing obsession lol. Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
PM gets good runs of salmon and it’s the middle of September, so fish will be somewhere. I was always into maps and hunting down access points to cover as much ground as possible. Kayak ether river will help increase your odds greatly.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Hello everyone. My buddy and I are medical students at Oakland University in Auburn Hills. We are trying to catch our first salmon this year. We went last year around mid September to the Pere Marquette and didn't catch anything. We barely saw any fish. We kayaked from Gleason's Landing to Rainbow Rapids. I was just wondering, is the Pere Marquette worth it? We only have 4 days off this entire month since we are in our surgical rotation, so we want to make the most of our 3-4 hour drive to the west side of the state. I was thinking of trying the Pere Marquette again on kayaks from Sulak to Lower branch bridge. Or should we try kayaking the Betsie? I literally just want to try to catch one fresh fish and bring it home to the wife to cook for her to justify my fishing obsession lol. Thanks guys
The highest odds, IMO, is wader fishing at homestead dam on the Betsie. After catching a few, drop your yaks in above the dam and paddle upstream to chase pods. It's a relatively shallow steam. The rivers get fresh pushes of fish after a cold night or two especially if accompanied by rain and/or a sustained north wind.

Your best methods will be floating skein if you find a nice long drift or do what most folks do and set up a flossing rig.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Was another great weekend on the river. The fish were mean and feisty this weekend, more so than the past week in a half. Lot of fish lost and a lot of hooks lost. Even had a big ol male bend out my 1/0 gamakatsu hook. Still was able to get quite a few to the net. Highlight of the weekend was watching my gf hook and land a 23 lb fresh female. First thing she said was "well we got fresh eggs for the skein train" LOL. She went 3/8 all on skein, all on her own Saturday.

The key for us this weekend was finding holes we knew were holding fish, and hungry fish. If we didn't get a bobber down within an hour, we were on the move again. Should continue to be a great couple more weeks until they move onto gravel.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Fair hooked kings do jump but seems pretty rare to me, had it happen off a pier once and I thought look at the size of that steelhead. Nope 15lb king with a KO wobbler in da chops.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Can't tell you the ratio compared to other rivers, but they're definitely in the PM.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
There is a closed portion of the betsie (u are correct) but it is way up river. Can't remember the road name or date.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There is a closed portion of the betsie (u are correct) but it is way up river. Can't remember the road name or date.
I be was actually trying to look it up but can’t find any info. How far upriver can you fish which road is the actual cutoff for salmon fishing?

341 - 360 of 485 Posts