Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

301 - 320 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
I measured just under 11” of ice out there today, on my way in I passed this genius in his full suze pickup out on the ice setting up his shanty with a friend. Funny thing, they were only a few hundred yards out, close enough to easily walk but deep enough to sink a truck. If this is you I hope you’ll rethink this! Other people will no doubt see this & think is safe to do so & it isn’t!
A650BBFE-7721-4CE9-A391-435F55AA9B3D.jpeg

·
Registered
673 Posts
I measured just under 11” of ice out there today, on my way in I passed this genius in his full suze pickup out on the ice setting up his shanty with a friend. Funny thing, they were only a few hundred yards out, close enough to easily walk but deep enough to sink a truck. If this is you I hope you’ll rethink this! Other people will no doubt see this & think is safe to do so & it isn’t! View attachment 750521
I must have just missed you John. I just finished up my limit out here, more 7" than I care for, but this wind is brutal. I also saw that truck and shook my head. Not cool! On Monday there was a small car out as well, not nearly enough ice for that yet. All it takes is one weaker spot.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Clam Lake froze? I haven't been over there in awhile but it looks really fun.
I havnt been there myself but I was told it had plenty of ice at the north side mid lake launch or the road end access at the end of crystal springs rd on the south side

·
Registered
58 Posts
thanks John for the Info. We tried in early December before ice on a boat and didn't have any luck other than a few nibbles. Nearish that north side boat launch mid lake.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
thanks John for the Info. We tried in early December before ice on a boat and didn't have any luck other than a few nibbles. Nearish that north side boat launch mid lake.
Careful around any docks out there, some of the lake folks run bubblers around their docks, that can make for shakey ice some distance away. Mid lake should be no problem. The trench down the center, 20ish foot deep is usually crawling with perch & some cruising pike too. They’ll eat ya out of minnows quick usually, small sweedish pimple is my go to out there. Big musky & an occasional walleye in there too!👍

·
Registered
58 Posts
Careful around any docks out there, some of the lake folks run bubblers around their docks, that can make for shakey ice some distance away. Mid lake should be no problem. The trench down the center, 20ish foot deep is usually crawling with perch & some cruising pike too. They’ll eat ya out of minnows quick usually, small sweedish pimple is my go to out there. Big musky & an occasional walleye in there too!👍
Yup can confirm the bubblers on docks. Typically the really nice looking places seem to have them. We could hear them the whole time when on the boat. I have a pimple and waxies/wigglers. Maybe i'll get some minnows. Looking for action and a few keepers but mostly action. Be fun to get a pike.

We went out one night in the channel around Tday, saw a couple muskie hanging out on the bottom. Huge fish!

·
Registered
467 Posts
The biggest perch I've ever seen came out of Clam Lake. Was up there ice fishing at my grandfathers friend's house and was walking down the road to try closer to the Clam River and met an older lady with a bucket of fish. She let me see them and I can tell you most people would have been happy with bass that size. They were huge. It was a long time ago though. We listened to to US boys win the hockey gold metal on the way home. 1980?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The biggest perch I've ever seen came out of Clam Lake. Was up there ice fishing at my grandfathers friend's house and was walking down the road to try closer to the Clam River and met an older lady with a bucket of fish. She let me see them and I can tell you most people would have been happy with bass that size. They were huge. It was a long time ago though. We listened to to US boys win the hockey gold metal on the way home. 1980?
I hear there used to be huge crappie in that lake as well.

I'm just looking for some good action, without a bunch of crowds and hopefully some keepers. Plus I think it'll be a shortish walk to the center from either north or south launch.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I hear there used to be huge crappie in that lake as well.

I'm just looking for some good action, without a bunch of crowds and hopefully some keepers. Plus I think it'll be a shortish walk to the center from either north or south launch.
If you left a nightcrawler hanging of the dock in the summer time you catch12" rockbass.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
You gotta try this!!
1 cup drakes
1 packet butter & herb shake n bake
1 1/4 cup flat beer or water
2 giant size handfuls of boneless perch fillets
from lake skegmog

mix everything up, pat dry filets.
swish em around in the batter till coated & fry in your favorite oil till brown. Veg oil browns quickest, I did these in canola oil. Crazy good!!!!
AAEF2560-43C4-4FED-B2C9-84AD3115008F.jpeg

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
This guy likes to follow me around & badger me. He’s never even been to skegmog. Pretty sure he’s BB&R under another new name
John your doing a great job helping people out that is what this site was meant to do. The guy is just jealous because you put the smack down on the fish and help others out. Some people just won't ever get it keep up the good work.

301 - 320 of 420 Posts