Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

261 - 280 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
The least amount of ice I found last night was 3 inches on Bear Lake while checking out towards the middle. Middle of lake had 5 inches of ice. Not a lot of guys fishing - the trout are running just under the 12 inch size limit of the most part.
Same thing I found over the weekend. Smaller fish.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There must have been 100 people on Skeg today. Full parking lot plus cars on the road even at 845am.

I had good action and a few keepers but bite died about 1230pm. Way too many people anyways wow. Is it just like that on weekends?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Same way last weekend, not many Friday. Weather was nasty and the fishing was good. I Was first in the parking lot at 545 am. This morning.
There must have been 100 people on Skeg today. Full parking lot plus cars on the road even at 845am.

I had good action and a few keepers but bite died about 1230pm. Way too many people anyways wow. Is it just like that on weekends?

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
88996388-2C0F-4705-A1B1-FB19D697B892.jpeg

It’s always busy on the weekend & not a lot of parking now that they put signs up all the way around the drive that took away at least 20 spots. It was a little more busy today because NWMI & The Fallen we’re having a veterans. fishing event. I was the guy tooling around with the big flag on my quad. Should have stopped over & joined the club!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Same way last weekend, not many Friday. Weather was nasty and the fishing was good. I Was first in the parking lot at 545 am. This morning.
I gotta try early that sounds like it would produce. What fow at that time? I was at about 15 at 9am. I went left from the launch

·
Registered
1,543 Posts

I counted 75 shanties so I’m guessing closer to 200 people, nuts especially for mostly tiny perch, but I guess that will happen when it’s been a mild winter and there isn’t safe ice on the other big bodies of water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
673 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the no parking signs for ice fishing. I think those are meant for boat trailers. That said, some deputy could ticket and be right in doing so, just not the intent of the signs.
View attachment 635609
It’s always busy on the weekend & not a lot of parking now that they put signs up all the way around the drive that took away at least 20 spots. It was a little more busy today because NWMI & The Fallen we’re having a veterans. fishing event. I was the guy tooling around with the big flag on my quad. Should have stopped over & joined the club!

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Nice! I've walked pretty far on skeg but only about 1/2 mile. Did you do alright?
I was in & out of my shanty all day but for time in the shack I did real well. There was a lot of open lake with no fishermen whatsoever. Never understood why everyone crowds together in that 300 yard wide swath right up the gut. There was not one shanty on the entire east end and only 3 on the west. That’s at least 4-5 square miles of unmolested ice. Gotta put on your sneakers & fish those unfished spots.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Not sure if you guys caught this in the other thread but there is a swath of slush on lake Skegmog that is very dangerous, especially for wheeled vehicles!! It starts from shore approximately 1/4 mile east of Baggs Landing & runs out north, towards Torch River. I had to go out to nearly .4 of a mile to get around the tip of it safely. I crossed it unknowingly in the dark & I thought I was going thru. I hit it another time after the sun came up accidentally, scary stuff!! I would guess it was 8-10 inches deep, tho it felt like 3’. I had to stomp the pedal thru the floor to make it thru. I would guess it to be 30ish yards wide. Three Doggs Down & outdoortodacore had a bad experience with it as well, resulting in a badly broken Smitty sled! Stay safe folks

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Met some new friends out on the lake today! They said they were a day late for the fishing contest. Seem as th
AF9FAB20-46AF-40EE-9A86-4F8AE541A1CE.jpeg
o they are out of work ladies from a few miles east of there & heard that Ralph Smith was gonna be up so they were hoping to make a few bucks! Darn it Ralph! Day late!! Caught one pike, they really knew how to set a tip up!!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
20210123_123533.jpg
20210123_123533.jpg
Saturday morning, had a good time on the weekend on the skag . I didn't know you were out there John, I did see a shack over there on the way Off the Lake Saturday I thought that might have been you only one on that side of the Lake.

261 - 280 of 420 Posts