Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why hasnt there been any mention of the Kalamazoo river being re-opened from Marshall downstream? Great news.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I crushed smallies on The Kalamazoo today! Big fat healthy bronzers. And a lot of them ready and willing. The water is extremely clear. Poppers and soft baits. 2nd cast of the session I hammered my biggest of the year, 19.5" and heavy. Popper in the shade! Has anyone else been out on the Kalamazoo since the re-opening? This was the first time I have ever fished it and I think I have a new favorite smallmouth stream!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
My dad and I fished it last week and had a good time. Caught a dozen or so smallies on soft plastics but more importantly it was just good to be back on the river. Looked to be in good shape considering all the stress it has been under the last two years. Water was clear and we witnessed a variety of aquatic life such as turtles, frogs, a snake, a few carp and suckers. Can't wait to get back as soon as possible. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
What sections have you been on? I used to fish mostly between the county park and Ceresco upstream of Battle Creek.

Might have an opportunity to get out there next month.

We usually waded with swim trunks and good sandals. Don't want to plan to go out there if we aren't going to find fish and safe water to wade bare-skinned in.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
There was mention of it. I think a thread a while ago.

I havent hit it yet, but cant wait to tag into some smallies.

BTW- the Kalamazoo has a long reputation of having excellent small mouth fishing.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I fished downstream of Ceresco dam. It was clean and clear looking. I think bare skinned would be alright but I personally chose waders.. It was closed for a reason.. The fish are there. Theyve been eating well also. In fact, I think Ill head out there tonight.. Or better yet, right NOW! Enjoy!

·
Registered
611 Posts
What is the body of water called thats backing up begind the dam so i can find it on google maps. Lower mill ponds? I cant get any results for a ceresco dam search

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
My wife has to go to Cerisco daily (upstream from marshall) and there are signs warning not to consume any fish etc from the river so just be careful.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was in the kzoo again, and again had the best fishing session of my season. 3 smallies over 20 inches, no exaggeration. I landed a total of 12 smallies, only 2 of them taped under 15 inches. Got em on tubes, finesse worms, and of course, a pop-r. This river is unbelievable. The resident fish are so thick and strong. Using a 7ft M/L spinning rod with 8lb test these fish are maxing out my gear!! Im taking the fly rod next time.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
What is amazing is that you can find fishing like that from Marshall all the way through the towns of Plaiwell and Otsego. Great fishery!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I put in a the park downtown kzoo whent up about 2 miles below the dam at morrow caught a few but couldn't get over the smell of the river. Pure landfill. Above lake allegan was quite plesent yesterday but I have to say the stretch through kzoo was the nastiest peice of water I've fished. I could've sworn I saw a whole traincar submerged at one point.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Caught smallmouth and largemouth all day the last two days. They were crushing the spinners in the marshall area. Mostly smaller ones but got a couple keepers and a nice 16 1/2" that fought like the devil. Havent been hitting the flies lately.

Also, swimsuit is the way I did it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts