Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met with Trout Tracker and two of his friends before daylight this AM. Larry and I were in my boat and his buds in another. We had lines set and waiting for first light to start the slow slip up stream. After a few short minutes I had to turn down the idle adjustment on the new motor. Only took a minute. Thirty seconds after we were on our way again Larry jumped on a rod and said "fish on"! After clearing all the other rods and a couple jumps and trips around the boat I netted a nice 6lb male steelhead.

We had one other bump a while later. The other fellas came by and were having a problem getting their motor to run right. But they were not going to give up just yet! Dave (same guy that had the bubba lip at the Port Sheldon Tourney) said if we heard an explosion come and get them!

So we fished a little more and they tried also. A while passed and they came racing down the river with smiles because they got the thing to run good and were able to get 2 steelhead and a walleye in the box. Nice job!

Lunch time! We all headed for shore and started to cook. We now have a delema. Someone forgot to bring the pot to heat up the chilli! Now what? Dave (someone said he grewup with that lip)
had the answer. Beer cans! He cut the tops off a couple off them and Larry proceded to heat the chilli and divy it out! As he worked on this Dave put together a gas grill that I was sure he found on the bank somewhere and cooked the best venison wraped in bacon kabobs I ever had!
Shore lunch was great! Thanks fellas!

After lunch we started fishing again. It wasn't long and we had another rod get hit. I grabbed it and after a short while we had another male of about 8 lbs in the net. We tried it for another 1/2 hour or so and then pulled lines and headed home. It was about 3:00.

So for the day it was;
2 boats, 4 men.
4 steelhead.
1 walleye.

Not bad, not bad at all!

Thanks for going along Larry!
Rick

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Nice report, Rick. Thanks for sharing.

Beer cans for cookware, can't beleive I never tried that in my bachelor days.

Mitch

·
Registered
586 Posts
What a great day on the water, after a long spell away from the wet stuff was great to get into some steel 1 of the fish dave had was a hen so i have some fresh spawn in the freezer now if needed. those beer cans worked great! when your hungry you need to improvise i guess:D Thanks for having me aboard Rick we will get after them again soon! see ya Larry:D

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Dude! Great report. Did you guys launch by the Highbanks on M-89? That's a deep stretch of water as I recall.

Ken

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes Ken, we launched at M-89 where it crosses the river. I didn't know it is called the high banks.

Rick

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Thanks for the report guys!!:)

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I used to pass-shoot waterfowl near there back in the '70s, just downriver. It was quite a zoo, with tons of hunters. The Highbanks unit was across the river, and the Ottawa Marsh was upstream. It was quite wild back then - no houses and all state land.

·
Premium Member
10,562 Posts
Sounds like a great day with friends and fish. Great story Rick. Hopefully Dave will be our secret weapon for the Labor Day Tourney.;) :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts