Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Kalamazoo County 2017-18 ice fishing

9398 Views 58 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Wacky rigged Ben
OK the small lakes have some save ice and just getting more ice as the temperatures continue. I've seen some out ice fishing Austin lake, west lake, Hampton lake, Pickerel and sunset lake to name a few. Ice thickness is ranging from 2.5-4" from my recording on these lakes. Still safety and caution needs to be first priority for all. Let's get the reports and pics going for the ice season!

Scottsmill creek gill.
Gesture Fish Finger Small animal food Ray-finned fish
Reactions: goodworkstractors
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
That must be a huge hand you have there [emoji16]
The gill has really nice color.
I got home from work early today & took all the Christmas decorations down outside, so I'm ready to hit the ice myself in the morning
Portage lake down by Vicksburg had 3-4 inches by Kline’s. Folks were on the mAin lake, but that’s more sketch than Kline’s. About 12 of us in a small area had me nervous. Marked lots...caught 0.
Heading out this morning myself. Going to run tip ups, maybe some jigging to pass the time.
I know south bay gull lake is solid. Anyone know about the north end?
Anyone out tonight? Hit a lake in Van Buren Co. Thursday night and it was slow but had 3-5” of ice. Going in the am to a place south of Portage or back to the Van Buren Co. lake
Ran out to small lake in Kalamazoo County and had a solid 3 inches of ice...Didn't fish it long as it was getting dark, but a couple small gills. This lake usually takes until late January to freeze over, so looking like I might be fishing it next weekend with the cold.
Parts of south gull are solid. Be careful and carry a spud. Some is 4 inches and a few feet away the spud goes through in one smack. Guys were going over the one spud ice but I did not risk it. Got 10 gills and crappie tonight near the docks on South Bay.
Reactions: slowpaya
I got out there tonight. Got one. Was the only guy out there after 7 not in a shanty
Parts of south gull are solid. Be careful and carry a spud. Some is 4 inches and a few feet away the spud goes through in one smack. Guys were going over the one spud ice but I did not risk it. Got 10 gills and crappie tonight near the docks on South Bay.
I went out on Sagamaw Lake aka mud lake (Scotts) in the afternoon from 4-5pm. Had 6 hits but only iced one Gill bigger than my hand tossed it back. It took a yellow tungsten jig tiped with a piece of scrap pink Orbeez left over from my daughters Christmas gifts. She had quite a bit of scrap leftovers from the Orbeez so I cut up the scraps like grub size and I am amazed by the action in the water, just like the panfish soft plastics on the market. Live bait was out done with artificial bait today.

Attachments

Reactions: fishinfanatic19
If these cold temperatures keep up I'm thinking about making a trip down to Harwood Lake down by Corry Lake just west of Three Rivers. I hear there's good size tullibee (lake Herring) in there, has anyone caught these through the ice before?
Wow! No shanty. It was a cold night.
I got out there tonight. Got one. Was the only guy out there after 7 not in a shanty
Yea all I have is a pop up deer blind and didn't bring it. Only spent like 2.5 hours out there
Wow! No shanty. It was a cold night.
thats what i do too
Yea all I have is a pop up deer blind and didn't bring it. Only spent like 2.5 hours out there
Reactions: BigJoe90
Whoever said South Bay is solid is way off, too much snow on it, was in it before all the snow and it was ok, now it’s 3-4” of White ice with 5” of slushy snow on top of it, fished some other parts of the lake that did t get hit so hard with snow and did ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Slow morning south of portage. First light had lots of action and within the hr it shut right off.
The strangest bite for me today here in Kalamazoo. Fished an area that ranged from 3 foot to 7 foot. Marked all sorts of fish in 7 foot, but wouldn't bite. Moved to the 3 foot range, and couldnt get the bait down 1 foot before getting hit....Ice was definitely getting better but still had really sketchy areas as we walked.
Awesome,weird, but awesome . Were they gills or specks
The strangest bite for me today here in Kalamazoo. Fished an area that ranged from 3 foot to 7 foot. Marked all sorts of fish in 7 foot, but wouldn't bite. Moved to the 3 foot range, and couldnt get the bait down 1 foot before getting hit....Ice was definitely getting better but still had really sketchy areas as we walked.
Fairly large Gills
Awesome,weird, but awesome . Were they gills or specks
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.