Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went by 3 places last night. West Lake: does not have adequate ice, maybe 2", spud goes right through. Austin Lake: good ice, tightening up nicely, 4" is a conservative estimate, definitely fish-able. Long Lake: somewhere between Austin and West in terms of ice quality. I think I might brave the ice conditions there today in search of some toothy critters. Good luck, tight lines!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Went by 3 places last night. West Lake: does not have adequate ice, maybe 2", spud goes right through. Austin Lake: good ice, tightening up nicely, 4" is a conservative estimate, definitely fish-able. Long Lake: somewhere between Austin and West in terms of ice quality. I think I might brave the ice conditions there today in search of some toothy critters. Good luck, tight lines!
Fished austin(only because favorite lake not ready yet) Sat. evening-4" of good ice. Hampton is also fishable. Sat. nights cold should have added more ice to other lakes. I'm going to my favorite lake tonight.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going to Long Lake right now. Will update the situation and hopefully a report of some PIKE PIKE PIKE!!! :evilsmile

·
Registered
276 Posts
Fished Austin Sat.....Caught maybe 8 decent perch and had two that went 12" or better.....Ice conditions were good......Caught loads of little perch and a few gills in the mix too......Was nice to get out but waiting for some of the other lakes to get better :).........

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ive been on long and hogsett....good ice on long caught a couple gills and saw guys gettin some pike towards the north end, just dont know much about the lake so happy to be out....hogsett has some thin ice but im sure its getting nothing but better and there were plenty of guys out there, gourdeneck definately needs some time.... slow bite on hogsett with a little hot streak right at dark like normal. happy ice building:)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So Iamspartacus and I got skunked, but watched a couple guys slightly north of us get into the pike pretty good. The guys out there said they had 3 keepers, but had been there all day. They were using shiners and we were using suckers, so it seems they are preferring shiners. I won't be back in the zoo until the new year, off to lake St. Clair for now.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I fished Portage on Friday with a couple of small perch to show for it. There was about 3 inches of ice and quite a few people coming and going. There was some open water though, which made for some very entertaining goose and duck action. There were hundreds of both! Made me mad! Duck season was real slow.:(

·
Winter Plugger
771 Posts
Fished Gravel lake channel no action yet at all. Pine lake is safe in coves, no good there either. Gun lake channels producing a few gils, crappies, and pike. Gonna check behind Black Swan, Assylum, and Limekin tomorrow.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Just got back from Austin. a good amount of people out there, with a few fish caught. I caught 7 perch (6-8in) and 5 small gills in 5 fow. The gills had a lot of black parasites on them, looked like they were rolled in a pepper shaker. Ice was thick enough for snowmobiles.:dizzy:

·
Winter Plugger
771 Posts
Fished Limkekin in Portage. Several folks out, I had the most with 5, fished 2:30 - 5:30. My buddy had one and someone else had one perch so brought home 7 fish. All the gills healthy no sorting necessary. 24ft of water most caught 8" off bottom, some as high as 6' off bottom.

·
Winter Plugger
771 Posts
Also behind black swan is posted no trespassing now..... anyone know anything about this? checked ice, it was safe and folks had fished there but decided not to risk getting towed. Any info on how serious they are about that sign will be appreciated, said residents only.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts