Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a K & N air filter on my new truck today. All I can say is AWESOME ! I never dreamed that there would be this much performance improvement. The truck is only a month old and was performing fine before but it's incredible now. It's got the 4.3 Vortec V-6 in it. The truck had some punch before I installed the filter but is even better now. The acceleration is better from a stop and even at speed. I'd say it's WELL worth the $40 !!

I don't have the extra cash right now, but I no what my next modification is going to be once I can find and "extra" $500.

I'm going to install a K & N Fuel Injection Performance Kit (Basically a cold air induction system) and a Gibson Cat-Back high flow exhaust sytem. They say that this system will add about 20 hp and 35 ft. lbs. of torque. This will be very nice because I pull a trailer quite a bit of the time. (Work trailer and boat trailers)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice work! My brother put a k&n filter on his 94 silverado. The old 350 was practically brought back from the dead!!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Does the gas mileage improve with the Kand N's too? I might have an excuse to buy one then..:D

·
Registered
729 Posts
Make sure you get their cleaner kit for $10.
i gave the filter a light coat of the oil before i put the filter on.
The only bad thing ,i now have BALD 13.50"wide M/T's;)

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steve, yes they make them for most trucks. Heck I just ordered one yesterday for my wifes Saturn. :)

Lunker, they are supposed to increase mileage too. I've been keeping pretty close track of my mileage so far and it has been right around 14 mpg. I'll report back once I've run my first full tank through the new truck with the K & N on it.

Robert, I'm sure they make one for your truck.

Here's a link to their web site :

K & N Filters

Try one, I'm SURE you'll like it !

·
Registered
35,299 Posts
R. W. McKoy

2003 Dodge ram hemi.
Don't buy that truck yet, Dodge is coming out with a 500hp model that will blow the doors off anything.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
All I can say is WOW!

I just dropped one in my wifes Saturn and took it for a spin. The throttle response is incredible. I've known about these things for a long time but never tried one. I never dreamed that the performance increase would be anywhere near what it is. I'm SOLD ! :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Jpollman, You working for K&N??????? If not, you should consider making the change. Your posts are about to spend my money for me!!:p

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
They must have just started making them.

I checked for one a while back and they told me they didn't have one out yet.

The air filter is the only thing you changed?

Luv2hunteup,

I bought it already. I'll have to wait untill 2008 to get the 500 hp one:p LOL

I couldn't imagine that, mine has more HP than I'll ever use.
Wonder what the MPG rating will be on that new truck?

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Robert, that warranty issue is kind of my sticking point too. I've been told that it WON'T void the warranty but I'm not sure I'm ready to put it to the test. There is a section on the K&N site where they discuss warranty issues. I believe that just by using the filter alone, that is fine. Heck, the dealer wouldn't void a warranty if you just put on a Fram or a Purolator or something like that. But that FIPK is another story. You're actually changing out the intake tubes and such. That is what has me worried. But I'll tell you that just the filter has given me PLENTY of performance for now. I still may go the induction/exhaust route though if I get the guts to do it. :) They claim that the system is an increase of 20 hp and 35 ft. lbs. of torque. That would be sweet.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool Robert, I think the bigger "high-flow" exhaust will help a lot too. Afterall, if you're bringing in a lot more air INTO the engine there's gotta be a way to get it OUT.

Steve,

I bought one at Murray's and one at Autozone. I'm sure that most of your larger parts stores stock them. And if they normally stock them but don't have your particular filter, it only takes a day or two to get. I checked at Murray's, Autozone, Pep Boys. They all said they could get one in a day if they didn't have it.

·
Super Moderator
37,512 Posts
Lets see now, after you add the high flow exhaust in addition to the high flow air filter and cold air induction, you will need to put a cam in there with more lift and duration, and port and polish the heads and intake and exhaust manifolds to maximize volumetric efficiency. Roller rocker arms and HD valve springs.
Then a new prom to maintain proper ignition timing.........

:D

·
Premium Member
10,804 Posts
Originally posted by Steve
Do they sell them retail anywhere?
Murray's advertises them and I saw an ad for PEP boys as well.

On the "Void the Warranty" question: I've been told that what ever modifications you do will not automatically void your warranty but if you experience a "failure" and that failure is the result of a modification then the repair of that failure is not covered under warranty. It's also spelled out that way in many owners’ manuals.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts