Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the season is just around the corner and ofcourse the last couple weeks are going to take the longest, i was wondering if we could all share our storys of when people shot there first deer, first buck, most memorable moments in the woods, ect. To get the ball rolling i will tell a couple of many of my most memerable moments.

First deer with my bow
Got in the stand at 6 30 didnt see much till about 8. A week earlier i saw the only deer that i have seen at this stand behind me in the woods, so ofcourse thats were all my attention was. As i was lookin behind me i quickly heard something trotting getting closer and closer. I turned to see a fawn running right infront of my stand no less then 10 yards.(i hunt the corner of a corn field) My heart racing i look to where the fawn came from, only to see a row of deer comin down the edge of the corn field. All together i saw 17 deer that morning including 2 button bucks and 1 spike. The doe i shot was the 12 deer out of the 17. I think that the best part of the hunt came after i took the shot. Several deer stuck around, i even got so close to one of the yearling does that it brushed against my ladder stand. After all was calm and the deer had left i radioed my wrestling coach on the walkie talkie, "Coach?, you there?" "Yea, whats up?" "I shot one and I think shes down" "Ok, sit tight in your stand, Ill be there as soon as i can" "Alright, but hurry please!" 10-15 minutes later he arives. Im still shaking,lol. I show him where she was and were i think she ran. we go down the edge of the corn field looking for blood and cant find any we decide to split up i go in the corn field and he follows the edge. I find blood and start following it. "Coach, I got blood." As i follow it he is 15 yards behind me following. All of the sudden i see the belly. "COACH! COACH! THERE SHE IS! SHES DOWN! RIGHT THERE! LOOK! He comes running up, and congradulates me. We celebrate. After all is donei make a few phone calls first to my dad, then grandpa, then big brother. After i was off the phone i gave my coach my bow and then began the hull back to the truck lol when i shot the doe i knew it was a nice size doe but i had now idea how big it was when i started pulling it :D it must have been around 900lbs:) All togehter it was an amazing experience and one i will not forget. by the way every time we eat any of my deer my dad always jokes about how we wont run out of venison for a few years seeing as how my does was 900lbs lol:lol:

sorry for the length but i was bored and was hoping you all would respond also with long responses. Seeing as how i have read all of the stories in whitetail magazine and many other mags and dont have much more matterial to read about people and there outdoor expericences.

MIman13

·
Registered
10,110 Posts
My best moment in the woods was Oct. 1st 2006 at 6:31pm. That is when I shot my 9 point on opening day. My first real buck, my first time getting a deer on opening day, the first deer I took from that specific tree stand. My first time being successful at calling a deer into me. I learned a lot that day and I have the buck on the wall to remind me of that and so I can tell the story about how I had a buck come with in 5 yards of me.

I hunted the morning with no success. I went during lunch to Walmart in Monroe for my engagement photos to be taken. I went back to my stand at 3:30pm. The guy that lived down the road was shooting his rifle. He was target shooting all afternoon. At 6:00pm I think he was finally out of ammo. 6:10pm I decided to give a social grunt. The next thing I heard was the sound of a mack truck plowing through the corn field to the sout of me. The next thing I see was this 9 point buck come out of the corn just to the west of me. He was looking around, so I gave another grunt. The next thing I know this buck come walking down the trail right towards me. Well I am standing at the ready. He comes in with in 5 yards of me and looks around. Finally turning his body. At that point and time I drew and took the shot. Hitting him in the high rear right shoulder. My arrow came out low left front shoulder. I tore up his lung, liver, sliced its heart, and ripped up its insides pretty good. He went no more then 15 yards and dropped. I was so excited I dang near fell out of the tree. I calmed down, my buddy climbed out of his tree and came over to me. I climbed out of the tree and walked over to claim my trophy.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
my best hunt was last year got in my stand about 2:30pm. deer were moving early. about 3:30 i had 5 horse back riders ride up to my stand literally 5 feet from my ladder never seen it or me.(the land i hunt is private open to public) so they are allowed to ride there. well they stopped got started to get off and stretch i blew my grunt call kinda loud. they were looking around had no idea where i was :lol: so i whistled still couldnt find me. so i said HEY. and that started a argument. you arent supposed to be here blah blah blah. i told them i have as much right to be here as you do. they say were going to get the police. i told them i dont care ill be right here waiting. so they took off. im sitting here thinking s*&t they are gonna come back with the police and screw my hunting up. so i took my face net off and lit a cig not thinking i would see anything the rest of the night. waited about 45 mins they didnt come back so i put my face net back on 15 mins later. here come my 8 point. started re working his scrape. so i grunted at him he came right to me 10 yards. he was 1/4ing away from me. pulled back my bow let the arrow fly. double lunged him. when he jumped his tail dam near hit his head. i was shaking so bad lit another cig i was excited got down went to get my arrow covered in blood. i said screw it called my uncle and told him i got that buck that was working the scrape. i drove back to town waited till 11pm to go track him i wanted to make sure he was down i knew he was hit good i just didnt want to risk it. started tracking him found him 40 yards from my stand he fell just outa my sight. was the most exciting day of my life.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
My most memorable hunt was Nov 15, 1984. I was sitting in a natural constructed blind along a stream that flowed out of a beaver pond. Next to me were willows for about 200 yds. Just after sunup a doe came down the runway crossed the stream and stood in front of me. She turned and huge buck came up to her and mounted her. I waited as long as I could for 2 reasons: I was shaking like a leaf in the wind and I wanted to take the buck after he came down. Just as the two moved together and would have been out of sight, I made the shot through the heart and the buck dropped where he was. Then I rolled him over by the stream and proceeded to field dress this trophy. As I did so I heard brush break and a another nice 8pt stepped out, I brought my rifle up but to my surprise the scope had fogged over because I had laid it too close to the deer's inside. I tried to barrel shoot this deer but I missed and he ran into another swamp across the stream. Before I did anything else I thoroughly cleaned my scope and placed my rife where it was safely out of the way. When I finished with the trophy, I cleaned myself up and dried my hands. Just as I was recovering my rifle, a 7pt stepped out and looked at me. He jumped and I fired as he landed and he dropped. My hunting season was over but my heart did not stop thumping for a long time afterwards. It started to snow and turned into a blizzard. I fired 3 shots so that my buddies knew I needed help. They barely heard the shots over the wind but two found me and we had a long but fun haul out of the woods. There are many pictures of those 2 bucks but none can come close to the ones that are sealed in my mind. It was an unbelievable morning's hunt!:woohoo1:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts