Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 21 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
Just reiterating what was already said.

The whole travel distance part is still vague and anyone can make up a number.
Yes I agree with your first statement. I think that was really always the case

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
Just reiterating what was already said.

The whole travel distance part is still vague and anyone can make up a number.
You really have to wonder just what is "long distances"? I don't plan on using this to go to the U.P. but Saginaw Bay is a drive for us over here. Unfortunately Gratiot County is one of the only counties in Michigan with no lakes and not much to fish for (season wise) in the Pine River.

Reactions: Old lund

·
Registered
493 Posts
You really have to wonder just what is "long distances"? I don't plan on using this to go to the U.P. but Saginaw Bay is a drive for us over here. Unfortunately Gratiot County is one of the only counties in Michigan with no lakes and not much to fish for (season wise) in the Pine River.
There’s always smallies to go after in the pine. That’s where two of the biggest I’ve ever caught came from. I’ve waded almost ever inch of that river from north of breckenridge to St. Louis. Great fishing to be had.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
25,192 Posts
Long distance travel in order to participate in outdoor activity's is not illegal, but discouraged. People not observing social distancing orders will themselves be responsible for the downfall of fishing and fishing spots, and the use of State recreational areas during this health crisis. ;) - https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/MIDNR/bulletins/2842ca8

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
People not observing social distancing orders will themselves be responsible for the downfall of fishing and fishing spots, and the use of State recreational areas during this health crisis. ;) -
Just like they closed Tippy down. Common sense didn't work there. Many other locations to follow suit very soon.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
If its that complicated Stay Home.

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
They want you to stay local. So for example when you think of a local store or business you would think of something relatively close to you, not 2 hours away. It’s simple, if people are really that confused they should just give up the fishing pole and stay home.
Thank you for clarifying that. Seeing as how I am not 2 hours away I am perfectly within the "long distance" range to fish the Saginaw Bay. By the way I was not confused just pointing out that they have made part of the language to the order making it unenforceable. Fortunately for all of us laws are very specific and enforcement cannot be for "whatever any person decides" it means. It is called beyond a reasonable doubt. Just to clarify it for you this rule is ridiculous the way it is written. If I were to go fishing I would confront no one whether it was to launch on the Pine or at Patterson. I fish with either my brother or one or two others which has not happened this year. So to expose others to me I would have to confront them at the launch which I do not do even without the quarantine rules imposed. If I had to buy gas (which I don't as tank is filled locally) I would still not encounter people as I pay at the pump. Don't buy bait as I use plastic and jigs so as you can see I would not be exposing others.

By the way what do you describe as "long distances"? Just wondering.

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
I hope they use good judgement and close certain areas where people are abusing the social distancing order and keep others open...I personally would like to continue taking my son to isolated in land lakes where we can safely enjoy the outdoors during these crazy times!
They close certain parts down just where exactly do you think they're all going to go?...........

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
There’s always smallies to go after in the pine. That’s where two of the biggest I’ve ever caught came from. I’ve waded almost ever inch of that river from north of breckenridge to St. Louis. Great fishing to be had.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
You are right but I am not a smallie fan. I catch them by accident and have thrown them back no matter where I am fishing. Basically stick to perch and walleyes but thanks for sharing the info.

·
Premium Member
10,509 Posts
Some people simply don't/won't get it, UNTIL THEY GET IT.....
Not to be argumentative but I have a question to your statement. If I go fishing at the Pine river and launch alone (close to home) or go to Patterson Rd. and launch alone (not close to home) just how does that increase my chances of GETTING IT? Just so I am clear I would not be stopping for anything at either fishing spot. Later in year I would stop for crawlers but not right now. This is one of the ways that the "long distance" thing does not make any sense. (Although from info I have received Patterson is a no go anyways as the parking lot is usually full early in the morning so you would have better chance of getting within 6 feet of another person if you were able to launch and park)

1 - 21 of 115 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.