Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I know no deer hunter that has ever received a mail in survey. Zero.
Well, you know one now. I used to get them regularly, but haven't in the past three or four years.

Reactions: Jimbos

·
Registered
20,901 Posts
No need to wonder. It’s weighted to newer license buyers.

Makes sense if you think about it. They want to retain the newly interested parties. Guys like myself that are established hunters will b**** about the regs and management if we don’t like the direction, but let’s face it, I’ll still hunt regardless as my license buying history proves.
Hmmm, maybe thats the problem

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
But just saw in another thread someones 9yo just received one. It seems like a trend. Called a buddy out of curiosity and asked if his son has gotten one and he said he has gotten 2 in 5 years. While my buddy like us. Never once. Easy to see how great there algorithms are if sending to first time hunters lol.
Did the 9 year old use crayons to fill it in?

·
Registered
35,299 Posts
One survey question I would like to see, is asking hunters if they want to keep politicians out of deer management. No good has come of it and never will.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts

I just mentioned this in another thread today. We have 6-7 guys in our camp. Die hard MI deer hunters. My father is 76 yrs old been hunting deer 55 years. None of us has ever received a mail in survey. Over 200 deer hunting seasons between us and not one received mail in survey.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
Thats cause you guys don't buy tags

·
Registered
6,135 Posts

I just mentioned this in another thread today. We have 6-7 guys in our camp. Die hard MI deer hunters. My father is 76 yrs old been hunting deer 55 years. None of us has ever received a mail in survey. Over 200 deer hunting seasons between us and not one received mail in survey.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
Odds of getting a mail in survey is less than that of getting drawn for an elk tag. Keep telling my brother he needs to apply for elk as he got a survey again this year. This is like #6 in 10 years

·
Registered
437 Posts
One survey question I would like to see, is asking hunters if they want to keep politicians out of deer management. No good has come of it and never will.
I actually agree but only if the reference to "politicians" includes legislature, state agency, commission and lobbyists.

Elected politicians have been responding to the current issues which stem from politically driven influence within the department and NGOs. In my opinion, this could be solved by: 1) Return DNR to resource focused, science-minded leadership accountable to duty to protect and preserve natural resources, 2) Define applicable science, minimum requirements, standards and relative precedence to be considered under the NRC PropG mandate "to utilize principles of sound scientific management", 3) Hold the commission accountable to the clarified tenants of PropG, 4) Establish and adhere to consistent policies for all public / hunter engagement to ensure a balanced representation and consideration of social interests, and 5) Establish policies to prevent NGO's (lobbyists) from gaining favor, undue influence and regulatory capture going forward.

·
Registered
447 Posts
People need to realize that they need to make laws based on what's good for the animals and the hunters. Political science is taken into every law made like it or not. We just dont seem to get a democracy anymore for deer hunting even though it does nothing to effect the deer herd one way or the other.

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,437 Posts
Taking into consideration peoples opinions, while forming regulations is OK. Peoples opinions forming law, as the sole decider (think majority vote), is not. At that point it is purely social, and under total social control. Wolf management is a perfect example of social management. The DNR has lost total control of biological game management, when it comes to the wolf. The courts (social) are now in control of the wolf management.

If you go back to the 80's and 90's and read articles on social regulation, you'll see social as a way to get people involved, so as to understand the DNR's decisions, so they could have better buy in. In the 2000's, it progressed to letting hunting polls regulate game. Was used effectively on the fisheries side, to manage to a politically mandated outcome, in a special interests favor. Welcome to social game management 2020 style.

·
Premium Member
30,789 Posts
I've gotten a survey EVERY year since they posted them on line and probably 3-4 mailed in my nearly 50 year hunting career. :)

Reactions: FullQuiver
21 - 40 of 40 Posts