Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i just got back from my vet and had some preliminary x rays done on my dogs hips. The vet says that her sockets are too shallow and that the head of the femur sticks out too far and this is cause for alarm. This really sucks because she is only a year and a half and is showing sings of dysplasia. She is having to work to bring her hind end up after she has hunted or trained which is the reason i took her in there. Now i have to go to Michigan State to get x-rays done in May because this is the only place my breeder accepts them from. The vet said she is still able to hunt just not very hard and mainly in water.
Sorry for the boring read its just bummin me out a little bit.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I recently read about some Veterinary Research College (I wish I could remember the details) that was using Fat Stem cells, injected directly into the hip joints, as being a potential cure for Dysplaysia. I would check with your Vet, they may have heard something on this research. Eitherway, good luck. FRANK

·
Registered
6,245 Posts
That dysplasia is some nasty stuff
Especially to a dog that's really somewhat still a pup.
Good luck with her
I feel for ya.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
well i just got back from my vet and had some preliminary x rays done on my dogs hips. The vet says that her sockets are too shallow and that the head of the femur sticks out too far and this is cause for alarm. This really sucks because she is only a year and a half and is showing sings of dysplasia.

Now i have to go to Michigan State to get x-rays done in May because this is the only place my breeder accepts them from. The vet said she is still able to hunt just not very hard and mainly in water.
If your description of the radiographs is correct, it surely sounds like she has a bad case of H.D. This is so sad because it will only get worse.

Hip Dysplasia is hereditary. That means that somewhere in the closeup pedigree (the sire, dam, grandparents, etc) there were dogs which were either clinically affected or carried the genes for H.D. Those dogs should never have been bred.

Why would you want to go to MSU to get x-rays?? You already have your answer from your local vet. I feel sorry for your dog.

NB

·
Registered
880 Posts
I feel for ya. Went through that years ago. fingers crossed everything works out for you and your dog.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Now that winter is finally upon us, don't let the dog out for runs. One slip on some ice can be fatal.
I wish you the best of luck with your hunting companion.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
My Black Lab, Hunter, has Hip Displaysia as well. He was diagnosed at around 9 months of age, and had surgery on his front elbows at MSU at 9 months old.

MSU is very good, expensive yes, but woth every cent in my opinion.

There is a surgery they can do on them to correct it, it will run you around 7K if they do both rear hips. I have plans to get Hunter's done as soon as he shows pain. He is now nearly 5.

Here are some things you can do to make yours more comfy when hunting. You need a couple extra steps given the circumstances. My lab has awesome drive to hunt, and if I left him home, he would eat the house I think. So I do the following no matter what.

A nice comfy waterproof pad for him to lay on instead of the ground or the boat bottom. I also have a big buddy heater that I will turn on after he retireves in even the slightest cold weather and dry him off. Heat helps the hips. I also towel dry him on chilly days. I really try to stick to water hunts, as you heard, swimming is the best exercise they can have for this.

Be ready to call it quits for the day if your dog gets to uncomfortable. Even if the birds are flying. At the very least get them into the truck and warm.

I give my a daily pill of glucomsimin with Chondrotin (sp). he gets one pill where a human gets two a day. This helps him a lot. It takes a few weeks to work and you need to make sure he gets it everyday. You will know the days you forget.

While in the house, make sure he has a good fluffy pad to lay on that he can stretch out on and still be on it. This helps keep the hips in a position they like that does not hurt.

I also keep a bottle of Rymadal handy for those days that he really needs some help after hunting. He does not whimper but you can tell he is favoring the rear end.

Do not let him jump out of your vehicle. Lift him out onto the ground. This jumping out is very hard on the joints.

Never over work him until he wants to quit. Keep the workouts swimming to a few long retrieves a day. I don't work mine during the hunting season. If I do, it is a few bumpers tossed not to far.

I think the Big Buddy heater is a very important item to add to your inventory. This has helped mine a ton when hunting in the colder weather.

Another important thing I do is make sure the aluminum on the boat is covered with a non slip surface, like the Neopren matts. When a dog with bad hips gets excited and runs to the other end of the boat and slips, that tweaks the hips to the point that he may actually injure himself to the point of being in serious pain and take a few days to overcome it. Use caution.

With these tips, I hope you can have many years of enjoyment with your hunting buddy. I can't imagine being hunting without mine.

I feel your pain buddy. Bad hips suck.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bellyup
thanks for the advice. Tuke has a mat that she sits on when we hunt and we hardly ever hunt out of the boat. I do own a mr buddy heater and she loved it on the 5th which is the last time we went hunting. I currently have her on glucosamine and condroitin as well as i beleive its cnm which is a joint supplement for animals. These seem to help you can get the cnm at tsc its for horses but its the same for dogs. you might want to try this for your dog too.
Thanks for all the support guys we'll see how things go.
-Bobby

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
[Why would you want to go to MSU to get x-rays?? You already have your answer from your local vet. I feel sorry for your dog.

NB
Second opinion, maybe?

About 11 years ago my "local" vet (that we had been going to for 25 yrs. and he was a duck hunter), called me with some bad news after I took my lab in for hip x-rays. He showed me the x-rays, which I really didn't know exactly what I was looking for. He said my dogs' hips were shot (dysplasia), get him neutered or put him down and get my money back from the breeder.:( Well I decided to send the x rays to OFA to have them do their evalutation,, hips came back "Good". I actually went to the vet's office and called him out on it, as well. He gave me the, "Well,, you know it's not all an exact science, and it's possible to make mistakes,, blah, blah"

I was like, yeah, I realize that but you were ready to put my dog down,, I kinda gave him the riot act and needless to say, I never went back to that vet.

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
Second opinion, maybe?
WB,

IF The OP's description of the radiographs is correct, taken along with the classic clinical signs, then HD is very likely present and its only gonna get worse over time.

Your dog's case is the exception, usually its the other way around ie. local vet sez "they look OK" and the OFA radiology experts dont pass the radiographs of the hips.

Sounds like "the breeder" is in denial, maybe?? Or is there a health guarantee on the OPs dog??

I feel bad for both the dog and the owner. CHD is an entirely preventable hereditary disease. You just need to breed clean dogs!!

NB

·
Registered
20,131 Posts
WB,

IF The OP's description of the radiographs is correct, taken along with the classic clinical signs, then HD is very likely present and its only gonna get worse over time.

Your dog's case is the exception, usually its the other way around ie. local vet sez "they look OK" and the OFA radiology experts dont pass the radiographs of the hips.

Sounds like "the breeder" is in denial, maybe?? Or is there a health guarantee on the OPs dog??

I feel bad for both the dog and the owner. CHD is an entirely preventable hereditary disease. You just need to breed clean dogs!!

NB
Agreed.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bobby,
Sorry to hear about this bud, you told me the story the other day. Have you tried talking to the breader at all? Any good news come from it if you did? If it came with a health guarantee I'd hope the breader stuck by it. Keep us informed.

Bobby Sullivan

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i emailed the breeder today so we'll see what happens from here on out. I wish it was the case with my dog that WHB had with his. THe vet brought out like 4 books to show me the differences. We looked at 2 radiographs of good hips and two with dysplasia. I wish i could get the x-rays and get them put up on here. Honestly i do have a contract with the breeder but i would much rather have a hunting partner and friend for 12 years then my money back. It just tears me up when i watch her try to get up after a day out in the yard playing or in really cold weather. Its pretty sad honestly. she's only a year and a half but she acts like she's 15 when she is trying to get up. The dog has all kinds of drive to hunt and absolutely loves being out in the blind with me and i'd rather hunt with her than anyone else. I'll keep you guys updated on whats going on. Maybe next year i'll be looking for a new pup and having to retire a then two year old dog.:sad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts