Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lwing, Just Ducky, and I went on a layout hunt the Friday before the rifle opener. It was my second layout hunt, so I'm just learnin' the ropes. I'm a puddle duck hunter, this is all new.

Anyway, we had a pretty fun shoot. Most of what was in the area were buffies. We didn't shoot any other species of duck, but we saw quite a few different species. The buffies were the birds that wanted the business end of the gun, so......they got it. I had a great time. JD, don't forget we've got some geese tied up for you when you get the itch.;)

Here are some pics:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, this thing wants to fight and won't let me post a picture. I'll fiqure it out. If you get impatient just click on the link to my picture at the top of my post. Sheesh.................hate to be difficult.:dizzy:

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Thought I'd give it a shot at cutting/pasting them here. God what a fun day that was. Lot's of good memories, and some darn good shooting. Especially LWingwatcher late in the afternoon...Geez he practically got his limit out of one flock :yikes: Let me tell ya...the man knows how to shoot out of a layout. And that sure was a pretty drake you got there. It'll look great on the wall! Thanks for getting these posted Loincloth. And maybe I'll just have to take you guys up on shooting some of them darn geese :yikes:

Loincloth and JD with the final tally....

Lwingwatcher and JD in the tender...

Loincloth's beautiful drake buffy that's headed for the taxidermist..

JD settling into the layout for the first shift...

·
Registered
828 Posts
Nice pics fellas. Looks like a fun hunt. I'm gonna try layout hunting one of these years. Can't wait, I'm sure it'd be a good time.

Joe

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
michiduck said:
WOAH ... easy on the close ups of Lwing :yikes: :lol:
You think that's bad, ya aught to try waking up face to face with it in the front seat of a pickup, in a Kroger parking lot, at 5am.:help:

Thanks for getting the pics up JD. Cut and paste huh?:lol:

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Sweet buffie! They don't get much nicer looking than that! Sounds like you guys had a good time! :cool:

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Good shoot guys. Nice pile of birds. Them buffies they get no love.... I don't mind a good buffie shoot. Lwing what kind of layout do you guys have??? We picked up a one man Kalash a couple years ago. We just hunt shallow waters of the bay with it. We have never ran it in deep water. We need something with a outboard on it to set out all our diverlines. Setting and picking them up in deep water with a Go devil would be a nightmare I'm sure. If you don't mind me pumping you for some info I have a couple questions for you layout guys. It looks pretty sunny in the photo, what time do you guys get out there to layout hunt??? I have heard setting diverlines in the dark is pretty hard. Also how long is a shift for a hunter???? And on a Lake like Houghton do you drop off a guy in the layout and tule around the lake til he calls on the walkie talkie or do you just anchor close a couple hundred yards away?? Just wondering. I think I have seen Loincloth around fish point quite a bit or maybe somebody that just looks like him. Again good hunt.

Kevlar

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kevlar, Lwings layout boat is an MLB classic. As far as answering diver hunting questions though, I'm to new at it to pretend I know anything. If Lwing see's this, I'm sure he will answer up.

and.........we may have run into eachother at Fish Point a time or two. Next time you see me, say howdy.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Kevlar,

I'll tell you what I know, having layout hunted on Erie for about 7 years now.

We wait until we can see before going out. Lately that has meant heading out the channel around 7:00am. Setting up in the dark is not easy, especially when you are trying to deploy the long lines and have the motor running. Just asking for trouble in our opinion. We try our best to see where there are birds trading around and/or rafted up. We are not set up to hunt way offshore, and most times we are within 1/4 mile, in 8-10fow. All of our dekes are attached to long lines. We typically put 8-10 dekes per line, with 16" droppers and the long line clips from Cabela's. Others use singles to fill in the holes, but we do not.

Lately we've been using two Bankes Pumpkinseeds and about 130 dekes, bluebills, redheads, cans, etc. The tender parks upwind about 500 yards away, and we use FRS radios to communicate back and forth. A typical turn in the tub lasts about an hour, as that is about as long as you can stand to be in that position with 42 degree water under you. Unlike puddle ducks, divers seem to fly all day long, regardless of the conditions. We've had some great shoots on bright, sunny days. A little wind seems to help (like always) but we draw the line when the waves approach the 2' or so mark. Just not safe to transfer in that slop. It takes us an hour to set up and pick up.

The two bluebill limit is killing us. I was done with my bluebills in about 20 minutes the other day. The area we've been hunting had a bunch of birds over the last few weeks, but they have since moved on. Hoping for more very soon.

Shoot me a PM if you'd like to see some diagrams and pics of our spread. Hope that helps.

BFG

·
Registered
13,901 Posts
Loincloth said:
Kevlar, Lwings layout boat is an MLB classic. As far as answering diver hunting questions though, I'm to new at it to pretend I know anything. If Lwing see's this, I'm sure he will answer up....
:yeahthat: This was only about the third time for me layout hunting, so I'm not one to answer questions either. All I can tell you is what we did that day...not saying that's the normal set-up...Lwing's tender is big enough to load the layout boat right in it for the ride out, so we could fly full speed out on the lake. It was daylight when we hit the water, and we kind of looked for rafts of birds first. Then we set the layout, and set the dekes from the tender, which he's pretty good at doing. Then we loaded a guy in the layout, and he parked the tender about 1/4 mile upwind and we just kept in communication on the radios. Pretty sweet set-up. We took shifts of probably two hours in the layout, or until the gunner got bored...really wasn't much boredom that day because the buffies kept you interested. I'll let Lwing answer your other questions because he's the expert. Loincloth and I were just along for the ride ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts