Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

· Registered
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time that I have had a UP doe permit in 20 years. I had 14 in front of me last night but I have so much respect for the countless odds these awesome creatures overcome to survive its hard to take any of them let alone 1 that might produce my next trophy. The pursuit of taking public land mature UP whitetails is an obsession. I have shot big bucks in Kansas..ND...southern michigan. Nothing is tougher than these animals. Last doe I shot was in Kansas 6 years ago. I think the older I get the chase far out excites than the trigger pull.

· Administrator
40,934 Posts
I struggle with the same problem even though there is a abundance of does in my area, but the way to look at it would be that they are occupying food and habitat that mature buck might also be able to make use of.

· Registered
4,156 Posts
I hear you, same here. I have read that the does' genetics has as much to do with the production of a trophy buck fawn as the buck does. So how do you tell if you are shooting the doe with good or bad genetics? You can't!
I have said that for years. Just keep shooting the big does and let their kids raise the next crop. Take a minute and think about that. Is it any wonder so many spikes, dinks, and small eights are so prevalent in lower Michigan. I really wish some of you had seen the deer herd in 80 and 90 Yes, way too many deer, but killing off half the gene pool was not the answer. Shoot a female fawn and put us on the right track again

· Registered
14,044 Posts
I have said that for years. Just keep shooting the big does and let their kids raise the next crop. Take a minute and think about that. Is it any wonder so many spikes, dinks, and small eights are so prevalent in lower Michigan. I really wish some of you had seen the deer herd in 80 and 90 Yes, way too many deer, but killing off half the gene pool was not the answer. Shoot a female fawn and put us on the right track again
Old friend of mine with some of the most bassackward ideas ever would only shoot doe fawns... This guy did and does shoot hsi quota of deer, he likes shooting deer.... Makes sense mama most likely gonna drop two more, most likely has a higher probability make the winter and even if the doe fawn has a fawn mama has a better chance of raising them to survive.... He says you seen some of the winters I have you'd employ this theory too... Button bucks aren't off the table either...

He has 500 acres don't care about horns, if he does shoot a buck he don't care if it's a six or a twelve, he shoots because he felt like shooting him...

· Registered
374 Posts
I see very few mature nanny does in my area. I usually buy a doe tag, but rarely will fill it. There’s plenty of deer in neighborhood, but I always tell myself behind that doe might be a big buck. Then when December rolls around I’d just as soon see that crop of Does make it thru to next fall. If some day I start to think there’s just too many Does then my attitude will change. I’m nowhere near that in my area yet like some of you guys.

· Registered
489 Posts
It’s all about balance, the deer around my house get hammered pretty hard so we typically will take 1-2 does around the house every year, then between me and my 2 closest neighbors we create a sanctuary for them.

My other spot the does are running rampant, no body in the area hunts, it’s not uncommon to see 20+ a sit, I’ll take 3-4 does out of that spot and it doesn’t even make a dent in the population.

· Registered
3,975 Posts
I hear you, same here. I have read that the does' genetics has as much to do with the production of a trophy buck fawn as the buck does. So how do you tell if you are shooting the doe with good or bad genetics? You can't!
There’s been studies done that show that the nutritional condition of the doe while she’s pregnant is what determines how large the offspring grow, both body size and antler size.

If the doe was in distress when she was pregnant, the body size and antler growth achieved by her offspring are always going to be limited compared to that of offspring of does that were in good shape nutritionally during pregnancy. Even the second generation will be lag behind.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts