Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first crossbow. I'm a bargain hunter. Don't have tons of money to spend. But I bought a Barnett Jackal. Anyone have one of these and what do they think?

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I have a Barnett Wildcat C5 that is at least 5 years old. So far I have had no problems. I have heard many good reports on the Jackal. crossbow nation is a great online source for crossbow information.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Good bow for the money... I hope it serves you well.. Take time and look over your manual and don't over wax or over lube your bow...

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have had one for 3 years with no problems, the first year I broke the quiver and contacted Barnett and they sent me a new one. It came with a red dot scope which I got rid of the first year, in low light conditions the dot covers the whole target. Have fun. Don't pay attention to those that knock Barnett X-Bows.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just bought one to, but I had shot one before, my son has one so liked his and when I got ready to get a new bow I got the Jackel. I shot it in and really like it. The bow I replace was a Barnet Panzer and had no problem with it at all.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I just bought my first crossbow. I'm a bargain hunter. Don't have tons of money to spend. But I bought a Barnett Jackal. Anyone have one of these and what do they think?
I'll be honest with you...when I worked at the shop I was at, that was one of the bows that came back for a lot for repairs. Mostly cable ware though. Check to see if yours has a cable slide. The newer ones come with a slide that solved most of that bows problems. I would think most shops that sell Barnett will have the slides if you need one. Check for cable ware. Get a set now to be safe. Usually about the time you need a set is when your local shop won't have them.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I'll be honest with you...when I worked at the shop I was at, that was one of the bows that came back for a lot for repairs. Mostly cable ware though. Check to see if yours has a cable slide. The newer ones come with a slide that solved most of that bows problems. I would think most shops that sell Barnett will have the slides if you need one. Check for cable ware. Get a set now to be safe. Usually about the time you need a set is when your local shop won't have them.
Is the slide you are talking about the plastic piece that the cables run through where they cross? I can see that without it the cables would rub together.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes it did come with the cable slide. And a spare. I read that it was a problem but it seems to have solved most of the issues since they started sending the bows with those in them.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We got a Barnett last summer from the big hunting store in Pinconning. First crossbow we ever shot or bought. We love it! Shoot so well out to 60 yards! We haven't tried farther. We use the Red Dot it came with. We like it from our limited use last year. My son shot a buck at 45 yards with it on his first try. Maybe took 40 target and hunting shots with it so far with no problems. Keep your thumbs below the rail! I put a wider guard to remind us even though it was pretty good already. Heard some horror stories about nails being torn off. Fun to shoot.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts