Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Long story...if you want the shorter version skip to Day 2. :D

Opening day: Got to the corner of the woods, owl hooted got 2 gobbles from the South and 2 more from the east. Being fat and lazy I set up on the closest 2 birds. I set out 1 hen decoy, and worked in 1 hen and 2 jakes, but I didn’t pull the trigger. After they worked out of distance, I decided to move in on the other 2 birds I heard to the east. It was a nice ½ mile hike through swamp, and thickets, in all my gear, and near 80 degree temps, sweating my but off. Finally I got to the back of the woods, but couldn’t locate the birds. I set up and called for about an hour, took a nap, then decided to move. I got around to the north side of the 80 acres, and saw a mature tom in full strut for 5 hens in the corn field. I set up and tried to call them, but they were headed across the field and with the wind could not hear me, or the hens just kept him away. I decided to go home, have lunch, and hunt that field in the morning.
It was a good day in the woods, saw lots of turkey, tons of deer, and I jumped a woodcock off her nest with 4 eggs in it (a 1st find for me).

Day 2: Set up in the north cornfield as planned but the birds never showed. I heard the tom gobbling to the east, but he moved away from me (again I blame the hens). I hunted until I heard the noon siren from the Dowagiac FD, and went home for lunch with plans to come back and try to get this tom in the afternoon when the hens leave him.
I got back to the woods and set up around 4pm in the same cut corn field. I was yelping every 15-20 minutes for and hour or so. Finally at around 5-5:30 the tom gobbled back to me. He was around 100-150 yards behind me. I yelped again, he gobbled, but closer, yelped again and he was real close, so I stopped calling. I was sitting against a tree where I had made a stick blind the day before, facing the corn field. I heard sticks and leaves breaking behind me, RIGHT behind me. I heard him spit and drum right there. I tried hard not to move, other then the uncontrollable shaking that is. He came up to my right about 10 feet away, and spit and drummed again in full strut. I could see him out of the corner of my eye. He moved to the edge of the corn field, behind some thick stuff, and spit and drummed again. At this point I was able to get in position for the shot. He passed the thick stuff into my shooting lane. There he spit and drummed for the last time in his life. I gave 2 quick putts, he stretched his neck out and I hit him with 3 ½” s of #6 Win Supreme at 12 yards.

22lbs, 9” beard, 1” spurs.

·
Registered
10,711 Posts
Nice story and bird....can't wait to get out!

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts
Nice bird Glenn.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Congrats Glenn! :)

·
Premium Member
6,356 Posts
Nice bird and photo.

12 yards with 3 1/2's! I'm surprised there is anything left above it's shoulders.:lol:

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
Nice bird Glenn but rumor has it Dustin shot one uesterday too at 11 yards:yikes: The stats are 23lbs, 9 1/2" beard and 1 1/4" spurs. And he did it with a slingshot

Ganzer

1 - 20 of 24 Posts