Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I've been seriously considering making a major career change into the field I'm most passionate about which is conservation specifically in fisheries. I have a good job and am blessed but I want to truly love what I do. I know I would never become rich from working in conservation but I would truly be happy. Anyone out there work in the field? Any tips on getting a start. I want to get my degree and have enrolled for the fall. It will take time to get there but any info or help would be greatly appreciated in this endeavor. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Internships, summer jobs, and temp jobs are great for getting experience while in school. Volunteer to help on all sorts of field projects. Grad students are always looking for help in the field. Grad school is probably a must if you want to be a biologist level or higher in state or federal govt, and would help for NGOs or private operations

Look up certifications and class requirements for jobs that you would enjoy doing, and make sure you take all those classes. Not all school departments require classes that are required by some employers

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks that's about what I was thinking. I just need to look up jobs and see what exactly you need. Thanks for the help I really appreciate it

·
Registered
51 Posts
Look at MSU Fisheries and Wildlife, Lake Superior State, and Central Michigan University for good fisheries programs. Do not overlook University of Toledo even though it is out of State. They have a great program too.
You will need a BS or BA at least, plus internships and summer activities. It is a very competitive field with more applicants than positions, so you need to be keep your grades up and get all the experience you can. I work with people in all those programs and can vouch for them.

jeef

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
JEEF is right on with his info i have seen first hand the difficulty in getting a job threw there.. i didnt have the degrees but had the contacts and volunteer work but the top of the class got the jobs and they even had to work for a couple years for low pay or volunteer to get the opening that might come up.. but its rewarding work if you can get in

·
Premium Member
12,770 Posts
I would also recommend taking some carpentry classes as half the people that use to work costruction for me had degrees in wildlife or fisheries management.

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Lake State. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts