Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we made it up to ludville last weekend and had great sucess as expected per the reports. The cool thing was I caught my first king vertical jiging with a buterfly spoon and glow twister tail. Talk about a rush!! Thank god the drag was loose on the initial bite otherwise I would be one rod lighter in the arsenal. As for the picture we took it coming in later in the day if anyone notices its in the harbor. we caught the fish in the dark over 125', 80' down.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Great job, that sounds like a rush!! Saw some guys jigging inside the pierheads at Frankfort and it looked like a lot of fun. Even more so when they pulled up their stringer of 5-6 nice kings.... more than anyone I saw trolling.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
That is sick man! I watched a great lakes angler show when they were jigging by the peirheads over in wisconsin on lk michigan. Getting big kings on 3/4oz jigs and gulp. Ever since then ive wanted to try it from my kayak.

What rods were you jigging? Did you bring jigging rods or just jig rigger rods? Anyways, awesome accomplishment!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Buzz bombs...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Nice job
What weight butterfly was that?

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Nice job Jay.

·
Registered
451 Posts
That is sick man! I watched a great lakes angler show when they were jigging by the peirheads over in wisconsin on lk michigan. Getting big kings on 3/4oz jigs and gulp. Ever since then ive wanted to try it from my kayak.

What rods were you jigging? Did you bring jigging rods or just jig rigger rods? Anyways, awesome accomplishment!
I have seen kayakers catch kings jigging and it looks like a rush. It drags them around and they catch it by grabbing the tail while not trying to tip. It adds another dimension to jigging which is alot of fun.

·
Premium Member
30,131 Posts
Excellent job!:) Going to give it a try this year I hope also for a coulple days over there. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Jigging open water salmon works, very underutilized technique. Way more fun than trolling and when you dial them in you can sometimes at least keep pace with the trollers. Be prepared for some odd looks when your ripping tuna jigs in 160 FOW amidst all the trollers though.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Best done away from the pack but I'm itching to try!

·
Premium Member
30,131 Posts
Jigging open water salmon works, very underutilized technique. Way more fun than trolling and when you dial them in you can sometimes at least keep pace with the trollers. Be prepared for some odd looks when your ripping tuna jigs in 160 FOW amidst all the trollers though.
They can run their lines right around me:D I'd have no problem with a guy jigging, their straight up and down, can menuever around them easier than the guy with full cores and 300 copper who wants to cut in front of you, or right behind you:dizzy: I'm a pier fisherman at heart, so if calm enough, I'll take my little boat out aways from the pier and throw some spoons after dark also. Been wanting to do that for awhile now.

·
Registered
773 Posts

We were using stout back boned 8 footers with line counters.

Set up on pile of bait and fish and it didn't take too long before Jay hooked up.

Ralph... you'd be surprised how long it takes people to figure out your not moving that early in the morning. We only jigged for a half hour or so and had no one around us. That didn't last too long as the boats started setting up around us, not to mention we did not want to miss that hot morning troll bite.

·
Premium Member
30,131 Posts
We were using stout back boned 8 footers with line counters.

Set up on pile of bait and fish and it didn't take too long before Jay hooked up.

Ralph... you'd be surprised how long it takes people to figure out your not moving that early in the morning. We only jigged for a half hour or so and had no one around us. That didn't last too long as the boats started setting up around us, not to mention we did not want to miss that hot morning troll bite.
I hear you. If you have just the white anchor light on and no green and red, they should atleast wonder why, since that what the book says. My boat is pretty small, won't be trying it near any other boats, they may run me over:lol: I plan on using a ice fishing rod:yikes:;)

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
I hear you. If you have just the white anchor light on and no green and red, they should atleast wonder why, since that what the book says. My boat is pretty small, won't be trying it near any other boats, they may run me over:lol: I plan on using a ice fishing rod:yikes:;)
Ralph,

You could market that video!

Jay

·
Registered
1,817 Posts

I'll be in frankfort for the last weekend of august, and plan on doing some trolling/jigging right at the mouth of the betsie from my little solo canoe.

Should be interesting

1 - 17 of 17 Posts