Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, heres a question for all you pro Bay Walleye fishermen...
What specific techniques do you use that produce Walleye on Saginaw Bay?
I've seen lots of posts about lure selection, equipment, etc, but what is the go to syyle for "working it"?
:confused: upward stroke and follow down on a tight line (like spring river jigging) or perhaps short jigging strokes. I realize much of it relies on the fish moods, but generally what produces for you?
I'm going to learn all I can to get my first elusive Ice Walleye this year, so any tips would be highly appreciated.:fish:
Thanks in advance.
--Dennis--

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Lift up then drop down. Do this 10,000 times. No results, move 3/8's of a mile, drill new hole and repeat.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Lift up then drop down. Do this 10,000 times. No results, move 3/8's of a mile, drill new hole and repeat.
:lol:

I use two different techniques while jigging. On one pole, I will jig somewhat aggressively with a flashy/noisy lure to get their attention. On the other pole, I only move the tip of the rod, very subtle, similar to a deadstick. Both work pretty equally.

I think the most important thing you can do is to switch the styles up. Dont get caught up doing the same technique all the time. Flashers and cameras help immensely when it comes to figuring what the fish want.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Very nice JR...very nice!:lol:

No real hard and fast rules IMO and i find it tough to settle on just one technique as i use many different techniques to manipulate my jig or spoon. Basic lift drop hold will get allot of fish to come in and will catch fish when theyre really biting. But, IMO, more often than not you have to change it up to make them strike. Might have to fluff the bottom, swim the bait up away from them, hold it still, twitch it etc. Allot of what i do depends on the bait i have on, where in the water column im fishing it and the mood of the fish. Doesnt take long to tell with electronics if theyre aggressive or passive. Adjust accordingly with each fish.

Most of my jig fishing is oriented in the bottom couple feet of water with allot of bottom fluffing and subtle movements down low, while with spoons and swimbaits i may jig as high as 6' off the bottom and bring fish up higher if they want to chase the bait. Usually more aggressive with these baits to atrract fish from long range and then ill get subtler with my movements if they dont come in and smash it initially. A cat and mouse technique is something walleye have a hard time passing up.;)

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
Hey mine was the condensed version. I guess I should of said to just watch your electronics, if you have fish looking at your stuff and not biting you have to try diffrent things till you get them to go and then stick with that for the time you are there. I remember one day last season when they would swim in and look, I would give it a small jig and a twitch and nothing. Next fish in I jigged my bait as high as I could get it in the shanty. As the bait fluttered back down they would just pound it. Once I figured it out it did'nt take long to get my fish.

Now the very next morning they did'nt want the big aggressive jigging motion, Just a short little twitch. It can be frustrating as hell. And that's no BS on the moving. I did that so much last season I put on just short of 700 miles on my machine.

I have to post the condensed versions Swami. For crying out loud you are 900 posts ahead of me.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
:yeahthat: sometimes it helps if you let it drop hard-stirring up the bottom to.....
Yep. I know we are talking different species but that works like a charm with Perch on LSC. Pound the bottom a couple of times and get that little puff of mud going and they come to see what they want to eat.

J-

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Hey mine was the condensed version. I guess I should of said to just watch your electronics, if you have fish looking at your stuff and not biting you have to try diffrent things till you get them to go and then stick with that for the time you are there. I remember one day last season when they would swim in and look, I would give it a small jig and a twitch and nothing. Next fish in I jigged my bait as high as I could get it in the shanty. As the bait fluttered back down they would just pound it. Once I figured it out it did'nt take long to get my fish.

Now the very next morning they did'nt want the big aggressive jigging motion, Just a short little twitch. It can be frustrating as hell. And that's no BS on the moving. I did that so much last season I put on just short of 700 miles on my machine.

I have to post the condensed versions Swami. For crying out loud you are 900 posts ahead of me.
I know, just giving you some **** there big buddy...I hear ya on the moving too. Had just over 700 on the Honda chasing them fish around. Looking forward to this winter, gotta fish together a bit more my friend.

.....and thats 901 now, get crackin'!:p:lol:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
just ass the 2 fish gods Adam and jr stated that will get u fish on the bay.

the kawkawlin river was froze across today ;):)

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Oh boy, why do i have a feeling those statements will make for some interesting conversation later on. Thanks Ray!!!:lol:

Oh, howd the sausage making go today? Were you able to get the high temp cheese? Gonna have to make some summer sausage here myself. Hoping to smack a couple more does and call it a year.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had walleye come in on the camera last year, but they werent taking.
Perhaps if I had a few of those tips in my back pocket...?
Gonna mix it up this year and I have a couple days to get it right.
Fish are a bonus! Fishing's the target!
Got a 4th guy for our Feb 5-7 weekend.
I hope there's good ice... I'm getting anxious.
Thanks again guys!
--Dennis--

·
Registered
193 Posts
the real trick is to drive around until you find either Jeff or Adam, and then sit with in seeing distance, and do exactly as they do. breath for breath. you just have to be very stealthy when approaching them.
ha.
On a different note. If you know a youngster, say about 10 years old, take them with you and i will guarantee that they will teach you a thing or two, and most likly outfish you.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
just ass the 2 fish gods Adam and jr stated that will get u fish on the bay.

the kawkawlin river was froze across today ;):)

Freudian slip?

J/k I don't know these guys, but they sure do seem to catch a hell of lot more fish than me.:lol:

By the way I hope to be fishing by next week. Saw a lot of frozen water on the way down to Pontiac today. Just hope this snow doesn't f things up.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
I had walleye come in on the camera last year, but they werent taking.
Perhaps if I had a few of those tips in my back pocket...?
Gonna mix it up this year and I have a couple days to get it right.
Fish are a bonus! Fishing's the target!
Got a 4th guy for our Feb 5-7 weekend.
I hope there's good ice... I'm getting anxious.
Thanks again guys!
--Dennis--
The experience is what it is all about. It boils down to the time you have to spend out after them. It's just like everything else....if you spend enough time you will get into them.(We had just short of 50 trips last year.) Last year I had a week straight where I could'nt catch a fish to save my life. I tried everything....then as fast as I fell into the slump I came out of it. It helps alot with the network of friends I have made over the years too. There are alot of great folks on this site that will help anyway they can.

And here is one last bit of advice that I can give......If you don't have anything nice to say keep it to yourself or use the pm function. When the bashing starts the reports will dwindle down to nothing. Let's be courtious to each other and have fun in this forum. Soup PS. Where is NightShift? You still out there Joe?

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
the real trick is to drive around until you find either...Adam, and then sit with in seeing distance, and do exactly as they do. breath for breath...
:yeahthat: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By far, Adam (bomb) is the MOST helpful member on this forum, IMO! I've noticed that over the years whenever another member had a question about walleye fishing on the bay, he has always replied with straight-forward answers...without any BS.

When Adam speaks, I take notes! (kind of like an "E.F. Hutton" commerical :))

·
Registered
340 Posts
jigging techniques deffinantly change day to day. electronics are the key for sure, learn how to read them and the fish will let ya know what they want. should be a fantastic winter with all the fish that are there right now, it's been the best fall fishing that we've ever had on the bay. any of you guy's ever do anything on tip ups set up like a dead stick? with the 3 line rule this year i'll be giving it a try. i've always done good on inland lakes like hubbard on tip ups for eyes, just couldn't put down one jigging rod to set one on the bay.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
:yeahthat: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By far, Adam (bomb) is the MOST helpful member on this forum, IMO! I've noticed that over the years whenever another member had a question about walleye fishing on the bay, he has always replied with straight-forward answers...without any BS.

When Adam speaks, I take notes! (kind of like an "E.F. Hutton" commerical :))
You got that right. Swami is way nicer than I am. But I'm old and grumpy. And I don't have alot of paitence. :lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
jigging techniques deffinantly change day to day. electronics are the key for sure, learn how to read them and the fish will let ya know what they want. should be a fantastic winter with all the fish that are there right now, it's been the best fall fishing that we've ever had on the bay. any of you guy's ever do anything on tip ups set up like a dead stick? with the 3 line rule this year i'll be giving it a try. i've always done good on inland lakes like hubbard on tip ups for eyes, just couldn't put down one jigging rod to set one on the bay.
We have tried tip-ups and have never caught a fish on them. There is a setup available called The Automatic Fisherman. It is the neatest thing you have ever seen for still fishing. Way to hard to describe but that little set up accounted for alot of fish last season. I am going to add another one to the collection. Two of those and a jigging rod and we will be set.www.automaticfisherman.com How's that for straight forward and no BS? If anyone picks one of these up there were a couple of little tweeks we had to do to make them release properly for what we were doing. Nothing major.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Thanks for the kinds words, much appreciated.

Never had much luck on tip ups either, but truth be told, i never put much stock in them. I do like to run a dead stick once im in an area that has fish. And with the three rod rule now im gonna use my third rod to target whitefish cause theyre so tasty!:corkysm55:)

I havent heard from Joe either JR. Last time i saw him was at a tournament in Linwood in the early part of July. I know he was enjoying his new Ranger boat. Probably grumbling about this cold weather. Im sure he's been out after em with the way the fall shaped up.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts