Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are fishing DR Friday for first time ever. What are poplular soft plastics to use? I fish alot of Gulp in the summer (jigging in the Middle, South Channels). I plan on bringing gulp minnows. Anything else to try? What about jig size, we can get away with 1/4oz in the channels usually, but not sure about the DR.

Thx again!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Coolwater,

There is no written rule saying that you have to use 3/4 or 5/8 on the lower detroit.

Use the smallest one you can get away with as dictated by the conditions and how well you can control your boat.

The water is still pretty cold right now, so slow and light presentations are the way to go.

Sounds like you are on the right track with your Gulp Selection, do not forget to pick up a couple dozen Emerald Shiners to mix into your presentation.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
I agree with the last post. Here is my rule of thumb. If I am fishing water less than 20 feet or so, I will use 3/8. From 20-30 I will use 1/2 and deeper than that, I will sometimes go to 5/8, especially if it is windy. However, if I have a newbie with me, I usually give them at least 1/2 or 5/8 to get the feel. If you lose contact with the bottom, you have no chance. Fireline certainly helps with the feel. I would not fish the river without it. You must also stay vertical ALL the time.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
If you are using stingers don't be afraid to use 3/4 and 1 ounce.
You will stay verticle more often and get more hook ups on the short biters.

It's not right or it's not wrong it's just what I do and it works.

·
Registered
86 Posts
That secound hook on thier is not what I am used to seeing, nor what my understanding of what a stinger is? Yes I am new. How do you secure that 2nd hook?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses. We'll be out Friday late afternoon. Hopefully I can report back on my first DR walleye.

Coolwater

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
I don't use live bait anymore when jigging, strictly plastics. I use either Zoom Flukes (Color: Sassy Shad) or Pumkinseed Gulp 7" Turtle Back Worm's .
Gonna probably try this Wynadotte Worm this that everyone has been talking so much about.

·
Registered
981 Posts
radiohead said:
I don't use live bait anymore when jigging, strictly plastics. I use either Zoom Flukes (Color: Sassy Shad) or Pumkinseed Gulp 7" Turtle Back Worm's .
Gonna probably try this Wynadotte Worm this that everyone has been talking so much about.
The worm works!

·
Registered
553 Posts
I use a 4 inch spiny worm with a tail, place a Treble hook with a leader on the jig hook. There is a nme for that treble hook setup, but I am not sure what it is. Bass Pro sells them, the top part of the leader has a rubber coated loop that holds the leader to the jig hook.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts