Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy's I have a Gift card from Cabelas, I want to pick up a new rod and reel for jigging this spring, what would you recommend, I have a $80.00 gift card lets spend:)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Im in the same boat you are. But im not sure whether I want a new rod and reel, more tackel, more ice fishing equipment, or more hunting equipment.

Decisions decisions decisions

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
That's what you'll be doing for many hours .....soooo....my recommendation would be a ....short stiff rod.....a small reel.....6# braided line....3' quality mono....black swivel to tie together....tie lure directly to mono....it's your choice of rod ...reel..only you know what feels right for you...I have yet to lose a 6# ( + ) walleye jigging on this setup by having the line break....don't go with a heavy rig...you'll tire out too soon...and keep the glove handy for SNAGGS ...you'll break the mono before you break the braids....and for heavens sake....."Do not grab the rod or the line near the tip ".:)

HAPPY NEW YEAR

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
I am right handed and I use a left handed baitcaster with a flippin switch for jigging.
When I was still using a right handed reel I was loosing fish when I would jig with my right hand and then pass it to my left hand after setting the hook so I could reel with my right hand.
Now I jig with my right hand and set the hook and on the up swing my left hand goes directly to the handle on the left side to start reeling.
My hook ratio went way up after this change.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have used many and like the Shimano Compre 6'-7'med. I have since switched to baitcasting but used spinning for yrs.
have fun shopping!

·
Registered
125 Posts
If you're trying to buy both a rod and reel for $80, there's not too many choices. I agree that using one of the superlines will make any rod choice a non-issue.

I'd look at one of the Pfleuger Trion or President r/r combos, something no longer than 6 foot rod with a 2000 sized reel. I think they go for 79.99 at Cabela's. If you're going to pay to upgrade then your choices are limitless. I'll tell you a real sleeper is Cabela's TXS rods which are sometimes on sale for 79.99. They have a 6'3" spin rod which feels as good as Loomis IMX or SC Avid, to me.

And I vote for spinning as having the reel weight hang below the rod is easier to jig all day with than a baitcaster, in my hands. And line twist is not an issue, especially with superlines since you're not casting and retrieving. Have fun shopping!

·
Registered
468 Posts
For a spinning rod, I use a 5'9" to 6'2" Med/fast action with a 1000 or 2000 series Shimano.

All superlines are not created equal, get some opinions and then decide for yourself which one you want. My favorite for jigging in the river is Spiderwire Fusion in bright yellow, but it has been discontinued for a couple of years (it is truly round, ties great knots, and flows nicely through the guides). I know a lot of guys swear by Fireline, but I have tried it in the past and did not like it; it seemed very stiff and sounded horrible going through the guides. I just picked up a spool of Stren Superbraid (bright yellow) which seems to be very limp and smooth; we'll see how it works in March. I use PowerPro on a musky casting rod and it is great line, but I don't think they make it in a florescent color.

Hotwired, I'm going to try a baitcaster with flipping switch this year. I've got a handful of LH retrieve reels, but only one has a flipping switch (older Browning Aggressor). What model reel(s) are you using? I checked the BPS catalog yesterday and didn't see any LH reels with a flipping switch.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
FowlWeather said:
For a spinning rod, I use a 5'9" to 6'2" Med/fast action with a 1000 or 2000 series Shimano.

All superlines are not created equal, get some opinions and then decide for yourself which one you want. My favorite for jigging in the river is Spiderwire Fusion in bright yellow, but it has been discontinued for a couple of years (it is truly round, ties great knots, and flows nicely through the guides). I know a lot of guys swear by Fireline, but I have tried it in the past and did not like it; it seemed very stiff and sounded horrible going through the guides. I just picked up a spool of Stren Superbraid (bright yellow) which seems to be very limp and smooth; we'll see how it works in March. I use PowerPro on a musky casting rod and it is great line, but I don't think they make it in a florescent color.

Hotwired, I'm going to try a baitcaster with flipping switch this year. I've got a handful of LH retrieve reels, but only one has a flipping switch (older Browning Aggressor). What model reel(s) are you using? I checked the BPS catalog yesterday and didn't see any LH reels with a flipping switch.
I have a couple of old Diawa Black Widows.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i picked up a Shimano Symetre 2500FI, I'll give it a try and see how It performs. Very smooth reel does anybody else use one ?. I still have to get a rod , any more idea's ?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts