Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on jigging rapala vs airplane jig. Is there a difference?
also see there is the new shad jigging rap. Not sure I see a huge advantage with this lure.
Interesting their swimming jigging rap video had a couple wax worms attactched to the treble. Never tried that last year not sure why.
What do you guys use on your jigging rapalas for added enticement if anything?
Eyes, chunk of crawler, wax worms? Species dependent?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
look to last years posts. we covered it pretty well. #2 raps for perch in perch with a jensen egg in red for agressive fish. or spikes for normal situations.#5-7 for walleye in gold orange or blue silver or black silver tipped with a minnow or 2. shads work just as well. i like nils master in glow.i have not used jiggin shads. too expensive so far. also a dead rod with a minnow head ripped with a bit of skin hanging for scent works too. sweedish pimples are just as good and less money.ask some of the pros here. they use them exclusively. same sizes colors and baits.same with rocker minnows and hawgers.don't get too caught up on lures. its about location ,presentation ,and not missing the bites.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Raps (or any swimming lure) for aggressive fish, jigging spoons for any other kind of fish. Usually I do real well on the raps for first and last ice, and do well on the spoons during the mid-winter doldrums. For spoons, again, the Pimple is always great, I also really like the Vingla (great spoon for anything in any size), The Kastmaster, the Nils master. What's great about the Pimple and the KAstmaster is that they have very little spin when you stop jigging. 99% of the time, I've found that Percids won't hit a spoon that sitting there spinning out the line twist. And don't be afraid to go a little big for Perch sometimes. I've thrown spoons down there that were sized for Walleye and caught buckets of Jumbo Perch. If you are after Perch with spoons, replace the treble hook with a single hook. Sometimes a longer hook works great, and even better sometimes can be a dropper rig. Take the hook off your spoon's splitring, tie on a 2 to 3 inch piece of Flouro line, then tie on a hook to that line. (I prefer Mustad Ultra points myself, in either red or nickel) This rig came over from Europe and their softwater guys years ago, and for cousins of the Zander, it works really well here too.;) Again, Anise balls are usually good for tipping the hook, spikes, minnow heads, whole minnows. If you are tipping the hook with minnow heads, always break the minnow in half with your fingers and get a little messy. Some guys cut their minnows with knives and I've never seen them outfish the boys that break em with thier fingers. Something about that raggedty jagged piece of minnow, that convinces Perch to hit more than that clean cut. Well, Good luck!:)

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
I guess i stick to what i know best, I love the action of the Raps.....I use them pretty much exclusively...I tried the cheaper version of the raps, but the plastic wing on the back breaks off, so now i just spend the money on the good ones. You really have to have confidence in them, and they work awsome, specially in deep water. When your on a real good bite, you can get right back down there after landing a fish. I like your idea Fish Eater, about the extended line off the Pimple, got to try that this year....have to increase my confidence in the Pimple's, god knows i have enough of them in my arsenal...

Mushy

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Man who has the time for slice this, hang that a certain way. Throw a rap on with a red ball game on. But this usally works when the :fish: are on a frinzy. A jiggin rap sends signals to the latheral line on fish and it is also a flash lure. Spoons are a sight lure and sound, maybe why the pimple is the best all around spoon with a minnow you can't go wrong. What size pimple to you guys use. I used more minnows last season than I had used for 5 years prior to last.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ed Stringer said:
Man who has the time for slice this, hang that a certain way.
Not that hard or time consuming .... just bite off the head and impale it on one of the hooks on the center treble.

Ed - For 'eyes, are you tipping your pimples with anything? I must have at least a dozen ... but, personally, never seam do do any good with them (tipped or untipped). Typically though, I'll only pull them out when I've been through all my colors and sizes of jiggin raps.

Thanks,
Ed

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
schaaed1 yes I tip with minnows for the most part and I replace the hook with red treble and cut the center hook. and hang two minnow on heads, tails what ever thier fussing for.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,371 Posts
Jiggin' Raps OR sVedish Pimples don't really work , DO THEY???
:lol:

·
Super Moderator
16,371 Posts
booktens said:
SFW; ya gonna try jiggin X's on the hard water :evil: ?????
YaKnow dang well BT that if they make 'em , I will try 'em!
LOL
:evilsmile

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Hey Robert thats an idea. We could chop about a 10 foot long 12 inch wide hole in the ice and then rip the x's......might be a little work but I bet it would pay off. I'll rig the rods why you cut the hole. LMAO.

·
Super Moderator
16,371 Posts
'Member Bro -- I gotz a powaH HawGeR... trollin' on ice ??
I ain't sKEEErEd!
;)
All we gotta do is figure out what to do with the big ole block of ice I KarVE outta the lake...
LMAO!
:lol:

R

1 - 13 of 13 Posts