Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to the veteran jig fisherman: do you use a swivel when connecting your leader to the braided main line or just tie line to line? I would prefer line to line but I’m worried about line twist. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I’m not a veteran. I’m still learning, but I have tried both. Swivel makes it easy to replace the leader if you break off when you hit a snag and can help avoid line twist. The downside is that you lose a LOT of the feel. Tying on a new leader is easy enough so I skip the swivel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Erik

·
Registered
320 Posts
Double uni knot fluorocarbon to braid. I use to run a small spro swivel and a small bead above it to prevent the swivel from passing though the guide. I've had no issues with the knot breaking. Usually the jig breaks at the knot

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Swivel/No Swivel is a personal preference more than performance based. You will probably get a 50/50 split of opinion on this subject. Although vertical jigging is not my go-to method, I prefer the handline, vertical jigging is one of the methods I utilize, so here's my perspective. I prefer a swivel so that I can run about 18" of leader. I have tied 1000s and 1000s of Improved Clinch Knots and can tie them without looking, making it easier for me to tie to the jig head. I have found no difference in sensitivity between the two methods.

As for the leader line I use the guidance wire from an older TOW missile (the newer missiles are RF guided and have no wire). It's 100s of time tougher than mono but ties just as easy. If you have an opportunity to try this as leader line I recommend you do so.

Reactions: Erik

·
Super Moderator
20,295 Posts
I think it's a triple surgeons knot. Been using it for flyline leader to tippet all the way down to 2#

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
i like surgeons and surgeon loops for mono connections (especially short leaders or short tippets, long leaders/tippets its a pain to pull the entire thing through). i prefer the alberto knot for braid to mono/fluoro connections.

·
Administrator
17,564 Posts
What leader? ;)
I tie yellow Power Pro directly to the jig with a Palomar knot. I add two alternating forward throws with two backhand throws to the knot to create a weak point that breaks off with a snag.
Works well for me.
<----<<<

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
If you are worried about line twists, here's the best solution.

1) Thread your plastics on the jig hook straight
2) Don't pull line off your reel by slipping the drag when you need another foot or two of line out - open the bail
3) Don't freefall the jig to the bottom, either on the initial drop or on each jigging stroke.
4) Don't snap your jig up off the bottom on each jigging stroke
5) If your line eventually becomes too twisted to use, ski about 100 feet of bare line behind your boat for a minute or two and wind back on the reel.
6) Invest in a line spooler made to load line on a spinning reel without twists like the one from Piscifun

Now that we've solved twists, I see two benefits of running a leader. First, whether its with a swivel or knot, the swivel or knot provides something that's easier to grab onto (and won't cut your fingers) than bare braid when grabbing the line above the lure with a fish flopping after coming into the boat. Second, a fluorocarbon leader provides some better bite protection if you get a muskie or pike, but for it to be meaningful you need like a 15 or 20 pound leader. That's stronger than the 8 pound braid I jig with, so if I get snagged the leader usually isn't what breaks. I just tie braid directly to the jig and don't worry about a leader anymore.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
i love having an electric line winder at home. makes filling and unfilling spools and even baitcasters/trolling reels so easy and fast.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Double uni knot fluorocarbon to braid. I use to run a small spro swivel and a small bead above it to prevent the swivel from passing though the guide. I've had no issues with the knot breaking. Usually the jig breaks at the knot

Sent from my SM-G960U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Yup...this....double uni is the best for joining 2 lines.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the info. Line twist was my main concern. So far using a swivel has worked so I will stick with that for now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you are worried about line twists, here's the best solution.

1) Thread your plastics on the jig hook straight
2) Don't pull line off your reel by slipping the drag when you need another foot or two of line out - open the bail
3) Don't freefall the jig to the bottom, either on the initial drop or on each jigging stroke.
4) Don't snap your jig up off the bottom on each jigging stroke
5) If your line eventually becomes too twisted to use, ski about 100 feet of bare line behind your boat for a minute or two and wind back on the reel.
6) Invest in a line spooler made to load line on a spinning reel without twists like the one from Piscifun

Now that we've solved twists, I see two benefits of running a leader. First, whether its with a swivel or knot, the swivel or knot provides something that's easier to grab onto (and won't cut your fingers) than bare braid when grabbing the line above the lure with a fish flopping after coming into the boat. Second, a fluorocarbon leader provides some better bite protection if you get a muskie or pike, but for it to be meaningful you need like a 15 or 20 pound leader. That's stronger than the 8 pound braid I jig with, so if I get snagged the leader usually isn't what breaks. I just tie braid directly to the jig and don't worry about a leader anymore.
Hi Piketroller....you mention using a Piscifun line spooler. I looked on Amazon, its simply holding the line spool inline with the rod, and then it gets onto the spinning spool. Doesnt that add twist as it goes onto the reel's spool?
Thats why theres recommendations about laying the line spool flat, (label up) and then reeling it onto a spinning reel.

Do you find that this tool adds more twist?

Or maybe yours is different than the one I saw?

To be honest, I seem to get twist using the "label up" orientation as well, so just looking for thoughts on the spooling tool.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
Hi Piketroller....you mention using a Piscifun line spooler. I looked on Amazon, its simply holding the line spool inline with the rod, and then it gets onto the spinning spool. Doesnt that add twist as it goes onto the reel's spool?
Thats why theres recommendations about laying the line spool flat, (label up) and then reeling it onto a spinning reel.

Do you find that this tool adds more twist?

Or maybe yours is different than the one I saw?

To be honest, I seem to get twist using the "label up" orientation as well, so just looking for thoughts on the spooling tool.
Yeah, that one you linked is the one I was talking about.

Spooling label side at the reel (or away as some brands of line are wrapped the opposite way) would only keep twists down if the line spool was the same diameter as your reel spool. And the diameter of your reel spool changes quite a bit as you put line on it. So what you end up with is label side at the reel ends up with less twisting than label side away, but both are still twisting your line.

What this fancy looking contraption does is it allows the line as spoiled on your reel to have very little twist, but the line that comes off the reel twists some because that’s how spinning reels work. But when you wind it back on, it’s not twisted on the spool so no wind knots or loops jumping off. Everything else we do to untwist spinning line seems to just untwist the line off the reel, but it still is wound back on with some level of twist.

·
Super Moderator
20,295 Posts
Drop the spool into a bowl with warm water. Start winding the line onto the reel. You'll notice the spool spinning in the bowl. After a few retrieves check for line twist. If it's bad flip the spool a few times during the spooling

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I been using that alberto knot. It's really easy to tie even on the boat in high winds. I do mine little different though. I make a loop and double the line on the mono/flouro side. Leaves 4 tags to trim. Been doing it this way for awhile. Works for me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have tied directly to the jig, tied line to line, and used a swivel, I’ve also used a snap swivel to attach to the jig, been jigging most of my life in river from the state park to the lake. I personal like tieing directly to the jig. No leader or swivels. More time consuming when changing jigs, but there is no loss of feel or action. It is honestly a personal preference. Find something that your comfortable with and go with that. If it works it works...

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

1 - 20 of 29 Posts