Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you recommend for jigging eyes? What jigs specifically?

How do you jig for them....what technique?

Would hair jigs tipped with crawlers work as well?

I tie rabbit and fox hair jigs as well as bucktail....usually beige, off whites, some grey and some brown.....also have materials for chartreuse combinations. Can you catch eyes on tipped hair jigs as well as others?

Rice Lake, Ontario in July....thank you for your input...Mac

·
Registered
324 Posts
you might want to search for previous threads about this one I think we just talked about it , I would say 3 wks or so ago

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm trying to do two things....I know one recommendation for tying walleye jigs was white, with crystal flash and pink heads...I've tied quite a few. Am just trying to get a couple different patterns but more importantly, I have never jigged for walleye and this thread enquires about the specific jigging technique for doing so......whether bouncing off bottom, holding up about a foot or two and then jigging slowly a foot, or two feet or more....just have never done it and am trying to learn.

If I enquire specifically, I get the information I need to know....if I search, there is a lot of good posts, but not much usually on the very specifics.

I know the hook has to be tipped with crawler or minnow, but I am also intending on drifting weedbeds when possible as was also related in other posts....so little by little, I think I'm learning...and appreciate the help greatly. Good fishing, Mac

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Little Mac - I've been buying bulk Northland Gumball jigs 1/4 - 3/8 oz. in Chart., Orange and Pink. Then I use ice chenille for a body, with a hackle tail (sorta like a fuzzy grub). With the chennile I do a contrasting color to the head. Don't know why, but Purple hackle on the tail is ALWAYS HOT ! Hope this helps - Bob WC#253 PS - sometime I do a Spun hackle collar also.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have done well using Bucktail hairs in combos of blue and purple. They have been pretty Hot the past 2-3 years. I think its just something different the fish aren't use to seeing...

Corey

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Nice job on the "Perfect Perch" hair jigs. What weight head is on those, 1/8oz , 1/16oz ?, 1/4oz or even 3/8oz would be nice. Wouldn't mind giving those a shot. Any for sale ?

:)

·
Registered
833 Posts
I fish the Detroit River with my Uncle and Dad all summer for the past 10 years or so. My uncle has been fishing it a lot longer than I have and he swears by a brown jig head with a painted eye and bucktail. Pinch a nightcrawler in half thread it on the hook and watch out, it's Walleye time. I've been in the boat when 4 of us were fishing and the brown jigs outfish any other color 4 to 1.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
you guys talk too much about hardware. its in the jigging motion. i went to a seminar years ago.learned to change my motion from a drop than lift to a lift then drop sounds crazy ,but watch the good river rats. they do this without even knowing it. hard to master ,but i trippled my catches this way.start nearer bottom and reverse your motion.works great for ice fishing too.anyone else using the secret jigging motion?most people don't tell about it or don't even know their doing it. try it you'll like the results. Dan

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
Double's right on the action I think. Leave those 7 1/2ft rods at home dudes, you are jerking the jig clear out of the strike zone on every jig. 6ft rods. I watched a few videos of Gary Parsons jigging, and from that I learned to lift the jig 6-8inches off bottom and PAUSE....no one pauses anymore...you have to give it just a few seconds for the fish to get to it, and then a controlled drop not a free fall....rinse lather repeat.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
see, another deciple.he has it right. lift,pause, drop. not drop,hit bottom, lift.pro's won't even tell you this cause most don't realize their doing it until you watch them.

·
Banned
485 Posts
I would have to say to go by the K.I.S.S. theory. You are going to lose alot of jigs anyway so don't put too much time into painting and tying different colors and variations. Just use the plain lead head jig with a grub body. We haven't used bait in probably 4 or 5 years and it seems to produce the same. Just my $.02.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts