Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
14,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hadn’t jigged for walleye in three weeks, so that was the plan this evening. Hit my favorite summer spot and the fish are already there. Landed five walleye (four keeper) and a decent perch. But to grind that out I missed a good two dozen bites at least. Most were probably small eye and some perch nibbling. Two bigger fish popped off after a few seconds but they could have been anything. Lots of smacks at the top of the stroke or on the drop.

So for everyone struggling to find fish, try your July/August spots.

· Registered
3,665 Posts
I ended up with 6 in the lower south channel and what I think was a sturgeon that was on for a minute or so. I couldn’t even get it to move off the bottom. The jig bite is slowing down.

· Registered
14,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ended up with 6 in the lower south channel and what I think was a sturgeon that was on for a minute or so. I couldn’t even get it to move off the bottom. The jig bite is slowing down.
I broke off on a heavy weed that at first felt a bit like a sturgeon but it didn't move off. When you hook one at the top of the jigging stroke, you are sure it's a fish at that moment, and the way the current pulls on things you feel a little thump thump.

· Registered
3,665 Posts
I got 2 head shakes, said fish on then it just sat there. I thought maybe I imagined it as I then thought snag.
Then 2 shakes and buh bye.
Biggest thing I’ve ever had on in 50 years of fishing the river casually.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
Appreciate the intel.. But I have no idea what summer jigging spots are because I haven't jigged for walleyes in the summer. Deeper end of the drop-offs and the channels, like 25-35 FOW?

Being an artificial lures angler as well I'm wondering if working bottom bouncers with original rapalas, husky jerks, or some such program like that should work as well. If hand lining or pulling wire works I don't see why it shouldn't.

· Registered
3,665 Posts
Yes, please share. What are the characteristics of a “Summer spot”? Water temp, Current change, Depth, etc?
I'll jig LSC in the summer. I try to find a defined weedline with open stretches. I try to find drop offs or features in the bottom that are different.
I get as close to the weeds as possible. West of Gull Island is a good area to do this. You pick up Smallmouth as well as Walleyes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.