Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched from Wyandotte at 4:30 today, and jigged in front of the steel mill for an hour. No bumps. I was pretty out of practice with boat control, so we worked the bugs out and will be ready for next time! Conditions were actually pretty good, moderate breeze from the south, 36 air temp, 34.5-35.5 water temp. About 1 foot water visibility. Sunny skies. We made a 40mph WOT run to LSC to check on ice, zero ice that we could see; the lake looked completely open.

Talked to one guy taking out as we were putting in. He fished for three hours with no fish. I think the water is still too cold, we are probably 2 weeks away from much action.

p.s. The Ecorse launch was open today with minnows.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Kroppe,

You need to swing by Ypsi and pick me up the next time you run to the river.

I won't have my boat out of storage until sometime in April.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
You are correct, the "magic" water temp for the beginning of the run seems to be 38-39. Gets better once it gets around 42 or so. Plus, 1 foot visibility will kill the jigging at any water temp. You need at least 18in to do any good. If we get some decent temps next week, then next weekend may be ok.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
No ice in the river for 3 weeks now. I have been out, only 1 day was there a little ice out there. The walleye action is not good in the lower river yet. I was at a fundraiser over the weekend and spent alot of time talking to Bill Dougherty from bottom line and he said not 1 walleye from the lower has came in yet, even though lighthouse bait shop are "claiming" 3-4 fish per boat. It would help if there was a boat in the river. We were out sunday with 2 other boats and no one did anything. We opted to fish in the warm water discharge marina. Any way so there is the scoop. Wait a week or 2 longer we really need the temps to warm up a little more, water temp right out in the river out of the discharge was 35.2 on saturday, water needs to get 40 or above for action to start to turn on. In my opinion 45 is the real start of the action, but what can I say I love to walleye fish, and will go out regardless of water temp. Till next time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts