Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
#5 and #7 should do you just fine. I've never really heard of anyone using a #9... I fish #5 and #7 with about the same success. Only thing with the smaller #5 is that if the current picks up it is sometimes hard to get that sucker down to the bottom... Usually #7's are big enough to handle a little current. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I don't usually use 9's, but Sunday the current picked up just a touch more than what I liked for my 7. Put a 9 on, lost my minnow. I caught 6 fish in just a few minutes with that #9 and no bait... I always keep a couple in the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Id stock mostly 5s and 7s and just a few of the others. The numbers 3s work great on the bay for both walleye and perch. I wana take a better look at the puppet minnows from northland

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
We did very well on the bay last year using #3's... It was my first time trying them other than for perch and I'll be doing it again

·
Premium Member
3,322 Posts
I bought a few 2 packs of the Sitka's, my oldest daughter caught a jumbo perch and 12 Walleye on Saturday with no minnow on them, bare lure. The hot color was a firetiger with a solid red head, and they have a glow white belly.

·
Premium Member
2,966 Posts
Id stock mostly 5s and 7s and just a few of the others. The numbers 3s work great on the bay for both walleye and perch. I wana take a better look at the puppet minnows from northland
The puppet minnow lasts for about three years, raps start paint flaking after a year. The new ones anyway. I gave up on them, higher priced and not very durable.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Anyone ever use Salmo Chubby Darters and lures of that shape and action? Or is that a top secret lure, lol? Some videos I've watched guys swear by them. I got a few in my box I am anxious to try them out but I think they'd be better in the more still water of the bay.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
Anyone ever use Salmo Chubby Darters and lures of that shape and action? Or is that a top secret lure, lol? Some videos I've watched guys swear by them. I got a few in my box I am anxious to try them out but I think they'd be better in the more still water of the bay.
I've used them on the bay... The walleye will either be all over them or they won't touch em... They're very bipolar when it comes to the Darters... Not to mention, they have a crazy action that takes some getting used to

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have caught many of walleye on the river with number 9 actually. Bigger lure can get you on the more aggressive fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
806 Posts
#7 blue chrome has been my go to.... what do you guys think about putting clear nail polish or something like that on the jigging raps to protect paint.. mines barely a month old and I have paint flaking off the nose..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts