Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys think, can you boat as many fish with just a wyandott worm, grub, or other plastic as you can with minnows? seems like there is more talk lately of guys going with just plastic???

·
Registered
86 Posts
I am no expert but I caught 1 yesterday on a gulp and no minnow. Seemed as good as with minoow to me. This being cold dirty water and ealry season I am somewhat convinced.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Chasin 50 said:
What do you guys think, can you boat as many fish with just a wyandott worm, grub, or other plastic as you can with minnows? seems like there is more talk lately of guys going with just plastic???
Saturday started with a brown plastic worm and a minnow. Only lasted 1 hour, went to just the brown plastic worm and caught my limit!!

Sunday ended up switching to a balck worm, 4", and caught my limit again! 9 times out of 10 I have done the best with just a plastic and a stinger!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
When it is just the males in the river and they are on the feed just a Jig and and some rubber.

But this time of year I go with a Shinner. I believe they tend to suck it in harder and hold on a split second longer. Plus it adds a natural flash.

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
I haven't used a minnow in over three seasons, and my catch rate has stayed the same or improved. That includes substantial tournament activity as well. Keep in mind that the currents in both the Detroit and St Clair rivers is strong, so the bite is very much a reaction strike. Personally, I think the minnow adds very little, and can actually hurt the bite as it bulks up the bait, tends to twist itself on the hook, and can slow you down on a hot bite.

·
Administrator
26,855 Posts
Tom (mich) said:
I haven't used a minnow in over three seasons, and my catch rate has stayed the same or improved. That includes substantial tournament activity as well. Keep in mind that the currents in both the Detroit and St Clair rivers is strong, so the bite is very much a reaction strike. Personally, I think the minnow adds very little, and can actually hurt the bite as it bulks up the bait, tends to twist itself on the hook, and can slow you down on a hot bite.
Totally agree.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you think a worm out produces a grub, fluke, shad body, fin-s, powerbait, gulp etc, which one is best, or doesn't it really matter? If it is a reaction, it shouldn't matter???

I fished just plastic yesterday for about 5-6 hours. I will admit, I was not concentrating as hard as I should have been, but I didn't get bit... I didn't see a lot of nets going, maybe less than 10 all morning, but it seems like the reports coming in are better than what i would have expected from what I was seeing. Maybe I just had bad luck...

I will try just plastic again next weekend but really give it a good honest effort.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.:)

·
Registered
385 Posts
I only use minnows when the water is cold. Under 48 degeres, I hate messing around with them but sometimes I think they hold it longer. Last week end at the reefs in Ohio the olnly people that caught fish were using minnows water temp 34.7 degeres.

·
Registered
9,750 Posts
someone posted a pic of their technique for rigging flukes and some other type of plastic with the stinger hook through the plastic.... can anyone find that? i searched but came up empty? anybody remember that?

·
Premium Member
5,543 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Chasin 50 said:
Do you think a worm out produces a grub, fluke, shad body, fin-s, powerbait, gulp etc, which one is best, or doesn't it really matter? If it is a reaction, it shouldn't matter???

I fished just plastic yesterday for about 5-6 hours. I will admit, I was not concentrating as hard as I should have been, but I didn't get bit... I didn't see a lot of nets going, maybe less than 10 all morning, but it seems like the reports coming in are better than what i would have expected from what I was seeing. Maybe I just had bad luck...

I will try just plastic again next weekend but really give it a good honest effort.

Thanks for your thoughts guys.:)
I have tried both in various colors, the brown and black 4" worms (brown in clear water and Black in muddy) caught my limits for me.

·
Registered
316 Posts
In my opinion you will do much better on a day to day basis using straight emerald shiners till the water warms and fish are more aggresive. I know plastic works and i us it alot also, but with all the weather changes and water conditions early in the year, the real thing has always been more consistent on my boat. My brother tears it up with his favorite worms and even he knows to fish minnows until the fish are more agressive. You could catch some of the smaller males on anything at times and that is when worms, twisters and other plastics shine.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
100% plastics for me when jigging. Once the water clears up I use pumkinseed Gulp Turtla Back worms on a green jig. Dynamite!

Chasin 50 said:

·
Registered
4,046 Posts
MAYBE the 1st or 2nd time out early in the spring, but after that, all Rubber....
Especailly when the Junk fish start to appear, you dont want any meat on at all...

Mushy

·
Registered
305 Posts
We fished last week for two hours with a jig/minnow and got nothing. Switched to jig/wyandotte worm and started catching fish.;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts