Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to buy a power auger and was hoping to get some pros and cons for the Jiffy models and the Strikemaster models. I am leaning toward the Jiffy right now, mainly because of the price. I am looking at the model 76 lightweight.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I purchased the Jiffy Legend from here this fall. I have used it only once so far, so I cant give a review quit yet.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I've had a strikemaster for a couple years now. The only problem I've had with is was the throttle lever broke. It's made of plastic and breakage may have been due to cold. I got a replacement though without too much trouble (though I think it was around $15). All things considered, I'm happy with it - just wish I would have got a 10" instead of 8"...if I had a dollar for every time I've though that!:eek:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I've got the Jiffy Legend 3HP 10 inch and I'm happy with it. It's a little on the heavy side, but by the time there is enough ice to need a power auger, you can get a quad or snowmobile on the ice to transport it with. I've used it for three seasons and have had no problems. There are usually three of us that fish together and we punch a lot of holes. It's good on gas usage. One of the guys held it backwards (with the muffler toward him) and burned a hole through his nylon parka, not the fault of the auger!!
Buy the biggest auger you can get. You can always get a little fish through a big hole, but the opposite isn't always true. Good luck and tight lines!!

Butch

·
Registered
546 Posts
Treetop,

This has been brought up before. If you do a search there is a ton of info on different augers.

I have the 2hp 8" Strikemaster auger. I've had it over 5 years and no trouble. The 3 hp will help you get through the ice faster.

If your going to fish for species other than pan fish I'd opt for the 10" auger as Fishfoote mentioned.

Which ever one you get, It sure beat's hand augering when there's 18" of ice. You'll also be more apt to move if the fish arn't biting knowing you don't have to hand drill new holes.

Good Luck this season.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I've had a 3hp Jiffy now for 10 yrs and I have not had a bit of trouble with it !.....Patch

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
I had to send back 3 different StrikeMasters, before I finally had it with them. I ended up with the Jiffy 76. Jiffy's are a well built machine and can go through some SERIOUS abuse.

I have the 8 inch,, which seems to be PLENTY,,, I had one of the 10 inch Strikemasters and that hole was HUGE!!!!!!!.

One thing to think about is,, where you fish and how you get there on the ice. If you gotta long walk to your fishing hole,,,, I DO NOT recommend a gas auger, just too big and heavy. If you have a quad or sled, I'd say go for it. I don't have a quad or sled and I'm probably one of the LAZIEST SOB's you'll meet, that's why I'm going with the cordless drill auger this year,,, I'm just SICK & TIRED of lugging that gas auger around. Keep your eyes peeled for a Jiffy 76, in the Buy, Sell & Trade Forum, real soon.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Well you can go with me then and I'll punch the holes! LOL!!!....Patch

·
Registered
513 Posts
up here in the u.p. were we get some real ice i had to buy a 12|" extension shaft for my sm auger when we fished on the inland lakes and on lake superior last winter!!!!!
three holes with new sm auger and the circlip came loose and took out the block. needless to say three weeks later it was back on the ice. five miles out on lake superior pull the cord and it snapped. but after these incidents no problems.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I've got a new Strikemaster Lazer Mag Ultra. 2hp, 3 blade, 9" hole maker. I haven't even put gas in yet, but I told myself last year (after punching holes in 20+ inches of ice with a hand auger) that I was getting one. They went on sale at Cabela's in September. I figure it won't make it out until we get a good 10 inches or so.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I know what you mean! If we don't get ice up there soon , I may have to get the boat back out !!! LOL!!....Patch

1 - 13 of 13 Posts