Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After fixing two props this fall I am thinking about taking the plung and buying a Jet Outboard. Any suggestions. Thanx Loose

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can just buy teh jet pump and have your outboard converted. much cheeper than buying a hole new outboard.
I think teh guys at camp and cruise can order it or river larry.

Good luck
Yahtzee

·
Registered
52 Posts
What HP is your motor? Remember that you lose HP from the powerhead to the jet. On my 20 mercjet it is a 25HP powerhead. On larger engines the difference is greater. A mercjet 40Hp has a 60 HP powerhead. How about your boat, does it have a tunnel. I can tell you from experience that without it there will still be rock / engine encounters. (though I understand there is a bracket to set the jet up and back that helps) Camp and Cruse is a good place to go for help. They have some nice tunnel boats and when I was looking in the summer a couple of decent used motors as well. I do like my jet but like many things it is not the perfect solution. At 20 HP I think it is underpowered on my 48x14. But I had the jet from a lighter boat. If I had bought new it would have been a 16'+ tunnel and a 40HP+ jet.

Best,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts